Nice trip yesterday

My friends and I had a great trip yesterday. The weather was perfect. I've added some pix to my album. Here's a pix at FRM. I'm in the back with the white hat.
aaj.thumb.jpg

From FRM we tried to go to Aserdaten but ran into a couple of obsticals. First a washed out road. We went over but it was rough. We bottomed out on the concrete culverts.
aak.thumb.jpg

Then the road was cut off by a new 'Super Pines Highway'. This road was about 20' to 25' wide. I believe it may connect two quarries. Sorry no pix but here's a map.
aal.thumb.jpg

We gave up on Aserdaten and went to the clay mines at Old Halfway. What a difference since the last time I was there.
Oct. 2002:
aao.thumb.jpg

Mar. 2003:
aap.thumb.jpg

We ended our day at Pic-a-lilly Tavern for dinner.
There are a couple more pix in the album.

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I also see you got TopoUSA 4.0. I just picked it up the other day. The shading on the topo maps is great. The maps are the same as my TopoUSA 1.0 though... :(

I haven't had a chance to connect it tp my GPS yet though. Maybe this weekend.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at Old Half Way on Saturday and was standing on the top of one of the hills looking down at one of the large area's that have washed out over the years, and all of a sudden the walls along the side of it just collapsed. We watched as a few feet of the side just slid down into the crevice. I first visited there in 1973 and there was one path down on each side, but the destruction over the years of the vegetation that supports the walls of the hills has had an irreversible effect on the look of the place.

Here is a photo developed in 1/76 that shows my vehicle on the lone path down the south side of the eastern lake.

1_76Hill.gif

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
I also see you got TopoUSA 4.0. I just picked it up the other day. The shading on the topo maps is great. The maps are the same as my TopoUSA 1.0 though... :(

Did you mention previously that the maps were not as good as the ones that came with your GPS, or are they better, or the same.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The maps that came with my GPS were not topo maps, they were street maps.

TopoUSA 1.0 and TopoUSA 4.0 are the same maps, just with extra features (shading, etc.) I have not had much of a chance to play with it yet since I have been busy with other stuff.