NJ has one of the lowest obesity rates

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This surprised me, although I still think it's pretty shocking that 24% of New Jerseyans are obese...

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

20120818_wom065_1.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think the differences may not be as great as the color coding of the map implies. For example, NJ is 24%, Pennsylvania is 29%. Both of those are pretty unacceptable. An earlier CDC survey with different methodology found the national obesity rate to be 36%.

I know they like cheesesteaks in Philly, but do you really think NJ doesn't have its own "plethora of fast food grease pits"? Is there anyplace you can go in NJ that doesn't have a McDonalds, Burger King, a bunch of pizza places and a diner that serves huge portions of greasy food? And how many people here have participated in the "beer thread"? :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To be honest, beer seems to add to the belly while food seems to add up everywhere. As much as I hate to admit it beer is not the root cause. :bang:

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I don't think it's a coincidence that the states with the highest levels of obesity have the best ribs, pork sandwiches and brisket. :)

Seriously though, if you eat the standard American diet, unless you are genetically blessed, you are going to get fat.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haven't weighed myself in years, so today I bought bathroom scale. Now the NIH defines "obese" as a body mass index of 30 or more - use this calculator to find yours: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

My BMI is 25.4, the NIH says 25-30 is overweight. I've lost a lot this summer by cutting back on the beer and getting serious about daily exercise. Looks like I need to continue. :)

To be honest, beer seems to add to the belly while food seems to add up everywhere.

I think you're right Guy, but unfortunately the NIH says this is the worst kind of fat. And, at least for me, it's not just the beer itself but all junk that I snack on while I drink it.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/risk.htm

Measuring waist circumference helps screen for possible health risks that come with overweight and obesity. If most of your fat is around your waist rather than at your hips, you’re at a higher risk for heart disease and type 2 diabetes. This risk goes up with a waist size that is greater than 35 inches for women or greater than 40 inches for men.

Since this is an outdoor-oriented website, I'm guessing (hoping) that this community has a lower percentage of obesity than the rest of the state. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Since this is an outdoor-oriented website, I'm guessing (hoping) that this community has a lower percentage of obesity than the rest of the state. :)

Its all about your BMI (body mass index), over 30 and your in obese land.
bmi-chart2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am 5' 9 and 160 so I am just scraping by on the normal range.

Both of my daughters are not even on the low end of that chart with both of them less than 105 pounds. However, in the past Jessica had her BMI taken and they said she was fat with more than 25 percent body fat. So how does that figure???

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I wonder how accurate the chart is because muscle is more dense than fat or it doesn't matter? Does body structure and muscle density factor in? I'm six foot one and way one hundred and ninety pounds. My BMI is 25.1, which is overweight, but I'm thin as a rail with no belly. Hmmm...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe we should not be worrying about any chart. You should be more concerned who your parents are or were. I was watching a video recently and a marathoner was discussing his 5 blocked arteries. No matter how much he runs his body just can't get the hint it needs to cut back on producing cholesterol. That may be my fate since the last three generations of males have kicked the bucket from a heart attack. My dad died 27 years ago last week. I have three years to go and I will have lived longer than him.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I don't know about that chart. I am 5' 10" and was 250 pounds. I was overweight for sure with a pretty big belly and chipmunk cheeks! I changed many habits in my life and got down to 178 pounds. When I was at 178 pounds I had had people ask me if I was sick. I am at 195 pounds now and you wouldn't look at me and think I was borderline obese.

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's a well known fact that I am going to live forever but most BMI charts have me figured as a nearly dead, slothful, lard ass. :eek:
I am just a year away from most senior discounts, 5' 11" and dance gingerly between 210 and 220. That makes me obese or on the far end of overweight.
I walk three miles a day almost every day, blood pressure is 112 over 78 and I can physically outlast people half my age in outdoor work situations.
I do not sit still other than to sleep or drink beer.
Maybe that's the problem.
:guinness:
At least I am moving when I chew tobacco.

BMI= Bogus Medical Information