NJ Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
As I have said before (and it's not just me saying this--the scientific literature is what counts)--legal roads and all forms of motorized traffic impose a catastrophic impact on ecological communities. Your personal observations are merely anecdotal accounts. Just because you see "very little issues" that does not controvert the volumes and volumes of scientific literature documenting the facts. Don't argue with me. Argue with the volumes and volumes of ecological science published in peer-reviewed literature. Just google "road ecology" and see where that leads you.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm not a qualified biologist. I have no formal training as a biologist. So, no, it has nothing to do with opening any door for me to close any road I want closed. I have no authority whatsoever to close any roads. I have the exact same influence you have. I'm a private citizen trying to get my representatives to do what I believe they ought to do. Qualified biologists include people like John Bunnell, the chief scientist with the Pinelands Commission. I would defer to him on judgments as to which roads should be closed on behalf of protection of rare species.
You ought to drop that premise, that it should be looked at. We all know NJCF studies snakes, and will likely buddy up close to Bunnell to goad him into closing roads. The roads and the wildlife are doing fine. Stop meddling.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
You ought to drop that premise, that it should be looked at. We all know NJCF studies snakes, and will likely buddy up close to Bunnell to goad him into closing roads. The roads and the wildlife are doing fine. Stop meddling.
Bob, I don't understand that first sentence. The second one is a baseless conspiracy theory, demonstrating that you don't know what you're talking about, so you're just coming up with creative fictions. The third sentence is utterly false and comically pretentious. It implies that you know more about the matter than the hundreds of biologists who have actually studied the matter. You obviously haven't. Your last sentence doesn't deserve so much as a comment.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
As I have said before (and it's not just me saying this--the scientific literature is what counts)--legal roads and all forms of motorized traffic impose a catastrophic impact on ecological communities. Your personal observations are merely anecdotal accounts. Just because you see "very little issues" that does not controvert the volumes and volumes of scientific literature documenting the facts. Don't argue with me. Argue with the volumes and volumes of ecological science published in peer-reviewed literature. Just google "road ecology" and see where that leads you.

Russ,

Forgive me if you've already done so, but can you please cite a study that concludes that there has been a catastrophic ecological impact in The NJ Pines due to off-roading? I'd like to give it a read. Thanks.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
No, the problem is two-fold. (1) We don't have effective enforcement against existing regulations,

There is very little if any push back there, lots of agreement.

and (2) we need more people who will be part of the solution.

Until problem one is fixed who really knows what the solution is?
Maybe after # 1 is fixed there is no more problem needing a solution!

Reactions: Teegate

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Russ,

Forgive me if you've already done so, but can you please cite a study that concludes that there has been a catastrophic ecological impact in The NJ Pines due to off-roading? I'd like to give it a read. Thanks.
I’ll find as many studies as I can, specific to impacts of illegal ORV activity in the Pine Barrens, if you’re sincerely interested, some of which are listed below. But I think it’s important to notice that if something is generally true of roads and trails and motorized traffic effects on ecosystems, it’s true in the Pine Barrens, as well. Whether or not you think these effects are catastrophic, depends, I suppose, on your point of view.

For example, when a road or trail is created, that is a track that obliterates or transforms dramatically what was formerly wildlife habitat. The vegetation is removed and replaced with compact or loosened soil, whether it’s a narrow or wide trail or road. The mere presence of that road or trail has a fragmenting effect to various wildlife communities to varying degrees.

Add to that the actual motorized traffic. Now you have direct mortality to some creatures. And you might not see the majority of the victims, because scavengers are known to scoop them up, often fairly promptly.

We have to also add soil compaction or disturbance that results in erosion—which effect depends on the soil type. Some areas along stream and river banks erode into the stream or river, with resulting sedimentation that adversely affects many aquatic plants and animals.

We have to also add noise, soil, water, and air pollution, as well as visual stimuli that disturb a wide variety of creatures.

A thorough treatment of the overall issue can be found here: https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/public_lands/off-road_vehicles/pdfs/ORV_BMP_2008.pdf

Studies and documentation specific to the Pine Barrens have probably focused mostly on dry upland sites (especially paleo-dunes) where Pine Snakes and Pickering’s Morning-glory have suffered negative impacts, and also on coastal plain intermittent ponds.

For starters, here’s a few references on Pine Snakes:

Burger, Joanna & Zappalorti, Robert & Gochfeld, Michael & DeVito, Emile. (2022). The importance of paleodunes as nesting habitat for Northern Pine Snakes (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus): risk from off-road vehicles in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Urban Ecosystems. 25. 1-12.

Here’s a reference that includes impacts to ponds: https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/44205/PDF/1/play/

In addition, the Pinelands Commission conducted studies of ponds, documenting ORV impacts: https://www.nj.gov/pinelands/science/complete/wetlands/

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Until problem one is fixed who really knows what the solution is?
Maybe after # 1 is fixed there is no more problem needing a solution!
Yes, if we could get effective enforcement, although the problem would not be entirely resolved, but it could become manageable. But two things are needed in order to get effective enforcement. One is adequate resources for law enforcement. They need more personnel and more vehicles, cameras, drones, etc. But even if they get those additional resources, it's not clear they will use them effectively unless the culture changes. Law enforcement officers need to stop the complicity and leniency.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quite a bit of the damage I believe occurs at night and that is troublesome. Hard to catch and very few witnesses to call and report. That will never stop.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Quite a bit of the damage I believe occurs at night and that is troublesome. Hard to catch and very few witnesses to call and report. That will never stop.
I agree, except that I don't think we need to conclude that it will never stop. Better police presence, better equipped police, and police who are committed to effective enforcement would go a long ways toward resolving the problem. One thing you and I might agree on (I think) is that if we could get effective law enforcement of existing regulations, that would go a long ways toward leaving more roads and trails officially open.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I’ll find as many studies as I can, specific to impacts of illegal ORV activity in the Pine Barrens, if you’re sincerely interested, some of which are listed below. But I think it’s important to notice that if something is generally true of roads and trails and motorized traffic effects on ecosystems, it’s true in the Pine Barrens, as well. Whether or not you think these effects are catastrophic, depends, I suppose, on your point of view.

For example, when a road or trail is created, that is a track that obliterates or transforms dramatically what was formerly wildlife habitat. The vegetation is removed and replaced with compact or loosened soil, whether it’s a narrow or wide trail or road. The mere presence of that road or trail has a fragmenting effect to various wildlife communities to varying degrees.

Add to that the actual motorized traffic. Now you have direct mortality to some creatures. And you might not see the majority of the victims, because scavengers are known to scoop them up, often fairly promptly.

We have to also add soil compaction or disturbance that results in erosion—which effect depends on the soil type. Some areas along stream and river banks erode into the stream or river, with resulting sedimentation that adversely affects many aquatic plants and animals.

We have to also add noise, soil, water, and air pollution, as well as visual stimuli that disturb a wide variety of creatures.

A thorough treatment of the overall issue can be found here: https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/public_lands/off-road_vehicles/pdfs/ORV_BMP_2008.pdf

Studies and documentation specific to the Pine Barrens have probably focused mostly on dry upland sites (especially paleo-dunes) where Pine Snakes and Pickering’s Morning-glory have suffered negative impacts, and also on coastal plain intermittent ponds.

For starters, here’s a few references on Pine Snakes:

Burger, Joanna & Zappalorti, Robert & Gochfeld, Michael & DeVito, Emile. (2022). The importance of paleodunes as nesting habitat for Northern Pine Snakes (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus): risk from off-road vehicles in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Urban Ecosystems. 25. 1-12.

Here’s a reference that includes impacts to ponds: https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/44205/PDF/1/play/

In addition, the Pinelands Commission conducted studies of ponds, documenting ORV impacts: https://www.nj.gov/pinelands/science/complete/wetlands/
Thanks, Russ. What do you consider "catastrophic?"

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Thanks, Russ. What do you consider "catastrophic?"
I think the cumulative effects of all the illegal traffic in the Pine Barrens is catastrophic. If a pine snake nest here or there got destroyed every once in a while, I certainly wouldn't call that a catastrophe. Or if only a pond or two, with its associated wildlife community got trashed here or there, that would only be a catastrophe if that particular pond was home to one of the rare plant species that are known to occur in only a few places. Or if there were only a few places where illegal trails and traffic are disrupting wildlife communities, again, that would not be so tragic. But this problem is pervasive and wide-spread and getting progressively worse every year.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I think the cumulative effects of all the illegal traffic in the Pine Barrens is catastrophic. If a pine snake nest here or there got destroyed every once in a while, I certainly wouldn't call that a catastrophe. Or if only a pond or two, with its associated wildlife community got trashed here or there, that would only be a catastrophe if that particular pond was home to one of the rare plant species that are known to occur in only a few places. Or if there were only a few places where illegal trails and traffic are disrupting wildlife communities, again, that would not be so tragic. But this problem is pervasive and wide-spread and getting progressively worse every year.
Here's an example of a rare plant species, known from only a few locations, any of which, if adversely impacted by illegal ORVs, would rate as catastrophic, in my estimate:

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
This is interesting, from the link Bob provided:
  1. Pine Barrens Located in southern New Jersey, the Pine Barrens offer over 100 miles of trails that cater to all skill levels. The trails are marked by difficulty, with green, blue, and black trails, and offer a mix of sandy and wooded terrain. The Pine Barrens are open to all off-road vehicles, including dirt bikes, ATVs, and UTVs. Camping is available at various sites throughout the Pine Barrens.
I have seen different color blazes painted on trees at varying trailheads, as well as numbers

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is interesting, from the link Bob provided:
  1. Pine Barrens Located in southern New Jersey, the Pine Barrens offer over 100 miles of trails that cater to all skill levels. The trails are marked by difficulty, with green, blue, and black trails, and offer a mix of sandy and wooded terrain. The Pine Barrens are open to all off-road vehicles, including dirt bikes, ATVs, and UTVs. Camping is available at various sites throughout the Pine Barrens.
I have seen different color blazes painted on trees at varying trailheads, as well as numbers
Are they on roads, those you saw? when I saw that statement, I immediately thought of mountain bike trails.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
So there are a few to see along Washington Tpke, as well as other main roads in Wharton, Pink is obviously Batona Trail, I have seen blue for sure and black I believe, and they are not a hunter marking where to walk in for his stand

slingblade

Scout
Sep 15, 2016
MakePeace Lake NJ
Readington? Wildwood? Colliers Mill? Valley View Park? The Wall? I'm guessing this article is the return volley to the PPA's latest anti-dirt bike vitriol.

The frustrating part about all this noisemaking is that every time Al Horner would spout off in the past, there would be an increase in petty vandalism with folks blocking LEGAL APPROVED trails with sticks and such.