NJ State Policy for Geocaching

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I just found my 60 CSX in one of my liner pockets in a hunting coat. It was very frustrating to have gone all the way back there and come back without the mission being accomplished. Especially when it was our own cache that I couldn't find.

Bob, I did take in a sharp breath but the exhale was laced with obscenities that no one could hear !

We will try again next weekend. The boots may be dry by then.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was wondering.Do they have any new regulation plans for the Letterboxing community. Not nearly as popular and it would be harder for the Feds to pin down the exact location of the boxes since they don't use coords and would actually require footwork for them to find them and declare them illegal.I doubt they actually want to bother with all that:)

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Great story Scott! Some explained to me that part of the problem stems from the increased use of smartphones to both hide & seek a cache. Apparently the accuracy of these devices isn't the greatest. I've witnessed his when my PN60 had 4' off the coords to a cache & my iPhone showed 37'. Imagine the mass of people (cachers) searching a 37'+ radius. Even worse when a smartphone is used to gather the coords while hiding the cache!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Earlier this month South Jersey Geocachers met with the superintendents of Wharton. There is a large post on that site but you must be a member to read it.
http://sjgeocaching.org/SJG/modules...id=4928&forum=21&post_id=70792#forumpost70792

The highlites are:
Limit the # of caches in WSF to 300.
Caches will not allowed in natural areas due to use restrictions from higher authorities.
• Caches will not be allowed along fire breaks, plowed lines, unmarked trails and closed roads.
• Caches will not be allowed along streams as they are located in natural areas. They also indicated they did not care for caches hanging above the streams in tree branches or hidden in stream banks.
• Caches will not be allowed along the railroad.
• Caches involving climbing due to liability issues.
• Night caches due to liability issues and problems with large groups of people in the forest at night.
• Paddle caches due to liability issues and their location in natural areas.

Unapproved caches will be considered abandoned property and the cache owner could be subject to fine under anti-littering regulations.

Now this that can affect us all:
WSF indicated that a number of roads will be closed to motorized vehicles due to maintenance and enforcement issues

WSF indicated they are considering fees for use of the forest and roads to support their efforts in running the forest.

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Pretty much what I raged about back in 2003-04 re: the ORV ban is coming true. More roads closing and more land (paid for by taxpayers) cut off from public access.

And the same idiots who tore up the place with their giant trucks will still be out there, but ordinary people like us won't. Awesome.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Someone I know received an email from geocaching.com. today. The choices:
1. Get a permit
2. Remove your caches on State lands.
3. State will remove them for you.

The third option should be fascinating from a logistics standpoint.

Mcgiiver

Jul 1, 2022
Princeton
I think the issue is not fully the hiding of the caches. I suspect people have become lost, hurt, or have damaged places while looking for them. That may be the reason they want them without a short distance from roads. Plus, it makes it easier for the authorities to check on things.
Most geocachers are carrying a GPS, and maybe a compass as a backup. They are pretty savvy at not getting lost.