NJPineBarrens.com 10th Anniversary

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hi everyone,

On July 13, 2002 I went and registered the domain name njpinebarrens.com. A few days later I had a website and discussion forum up and running. Ten years later the website and forums are still around and are, arguably, one of the best resources on the internet for folks interested in the history, ecology, and culture of the Pine Barrens.

Over the last ten years we've had our share of characters come and go on the site. A lot of really good history has been explored, documented, and discussed. This site would not be what it is without you folks who have helped shape the community here. You can have the best looking, fastest, slickest website in the world and it means nothing if nobody comes along and uses it.

A special thanks to all of the folks who have sent in donations over the years. The site doesn't run any advertising, so it's bankrolled by me and the very kind donations that I get. Over the years you've helped upgrade server hardware, pay for software updates and maintenance, and just generally help keep the lights on.

Many, many thanks to Teegate, who tirelessly watches over the forums as my co-administrator. He does most of the work moderating the forums and making sure that things run smoothly over here. I would not be able to do it all on my own.

Thanks to all of the folks in the PBX group. Your hikes and trip reports bring a lot to the forums, and it's very nice that everyone can see parts of the Pine Barrens that are way off the beaten path.

Finally, a big thanks to Jerseyman for his tireless editing and proofreading of many of the articles that I write for the front page. Without his time and support I am sure that the quality of the articles that are up for everyone to enjoy would be lower. I consider myself a good writer, but he has helped me take my writing to the next level. His contributions to the forums, taking time out of his schedule to answer questions and post maps and photos are incredible.

I started this site when I was 24, and have done a lot of growing and maturing over the years. Thanks, everyone, for sticking with me and the site over the years. I became interested in the Pine Barrens at a young age by reading Henry Beck. I had dreamed of exploring all of these cool little ghost towns as he did. Because of this site I've been able to see more than I probably ever could have on my own. And, in a way, I feel like I've been able to make my own contribution back to the Pine Barrens by running this site.

Here's to the next 10 years!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks, Ben, for all of your effort and thanks for creating a great forum! Another ten years and more!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes Ben, it has been an interesting 10 years! From the very first minutes at Hermann City it has been an adventure as you know. Aging I am sure will make the next 10 years somewhat less confusing; however, I hope it would make it any less adventurous. Congrats on being there early to get the most valuable domaine name around. The barrens are so much better off because of that.

Guy

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I remember finding NJPinebarrens.com by accident in 2003. I have met a lot of nice people, been to a few nice outtings etc. I have kind of faltered off in the last few years but I hope to start showing my face again. Ben, thanks for starting this site, you have something to be proud of.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I can't remember how I found the site, but it's been a pleasure to be a part of the forums. I feel like I've met many kindred spirits, even though I've never met many of you in person. I've learned to better appreciate how fortunate we are to have a place like the pine barrens, because, I grew up taking them for granted. Thanks Ben!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember finding NJPinebarrens.com by accident in 2003. I have met a lot of nice people, been to a few nice outtings etc. I have kind of faltered off in the last few years but I hope to start showing my face again. Ben, thanks for starting this site, you have something to be proud of.

It has been a while Jim!

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So, where is the party going to be :D

Ben, having worked in IT for 37 years I have an appreciation for what you've done over the past 10 years. I found this place not too long after I retired, coincidently 10 years ago this past June.

A BIG congratulations to making it this far and staying sane in the process. Here's to another 10 :guinness:

55018394.jpg

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
Hi everyone,

On July 13, 2002 I went and registered the domain name njpinebarrens.com. A few days later I had a website and discussion forum up and running. Ten years later the website and forums are still around and are, arguably, one of the best resources on the internet for folks interested in the history, ecology, and culture of the Pine Barrens.

Over the last ten years we've had our share of characters come and go on the site. A lot of really good history has been explored, documented, and discussed. This site would not be what it is without you folks who have helped shape the community here. You can have the best looking, fastest, slickest website in the world and it means nothing if nobody comes along and uses it.

A special thanks to all of the folks who have sent in donations over the years. The site doesn't run any advertising, so it's bankrolled by me and the very kind donations that I get. Over the years you've helped upgrade server hardware, pay for software updates and maintenance, and just generally help keep the lights on.

Many, many thanks to Teegate, who tirelessly watches over the forums as my co-administrator. He does most of the work moderating the forums and making sure that things run smoothly over here. I would not be able to do it all on my own.

Thanks to all of the folks in the PBX group. Your hikes and trip reports bring a lot to the forums, and it's very nice that everyone can see parts of the Pine Barrens that are way off the beaten path.

Finally, a big thanks to Jerseyman for his tireless editing and proofreading of many of the articles that I write for the front page. Without his time and support I am sure that the quality of the articles that are up for everyone to enjoy would be lower. I consider myself a good writer, but he has helped me take my writing to the next level. His contributions to the forums, taking time out of his schedule to answer questions and post maps and photos are incredible.

I started this site when I was 24, and have done a lot of growing and maturing over the years. Thanks, everyone, for sticking with me and the site over the years. I became interested in the Pine Barrens at a young age by reading Henry Beck. I had dreamed of exploring all of these cool little ghost towns as he did. Because of this site I've been able to see more than I probably ever could have on my own. And, in a way, I feel like I've been able to make my own contribution back to the Pine Barrens by running this site.

Here's to the next 10 years!
Wel
So, where is the party going to be :D

Ben, having worked in IT for 37 years I have an appreciation for what you've done over the past 10 years. I found this place not too long after I retired, coincidently 10 years ago this past June.

A BIG congratulations to making it this far and staying sane in the process. Here's to another 10 :guinness:

55018394.jpg

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I've only been on the board for a little over 4 years, but have seen it grow significantly in that time. Reading some of the archived posts gives you a sense of where this site began. An amazing evolution.

Many thanks to Ben and Guy for the hours (and $) needed to keep the the forums up and running for our enjoyment.

Hoping it lasts another 10, and more...

John-