No-see-ums

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Not sure if I spelled that bloodsuckers name right, but if ever a bug came from hell, this is the one. Good name for them--you can't see-um until their giant jaws lock on, then you feel 'em. and usually in the hundreds. Went fishing two weeks ago in the Indian River here in FL, and as soon as I got out the car they came a runnin' or flyin' or whatever it is they do. They're so small they can go through the openings in a screen ! I would love to see a magnified pic of them, they're probably all mouth with bear-trap teeth !!! My legs looked like I had the measles after that incident ! I made the mistake of going out in the boat without my deep-woods DEET, so I lathered up my legs in sunblock and did that help? No! It was as if I lathered my legs in gravy and yelled "come and get it!" And I know they love NJ, too. Never had chiggers, but no-see-ums? They love me !

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Try a trip to the Adirondacks in the spring for the black-fly hatch. Lovely, absolutely lovely. It's the official bird of the 'dacks :D and they make mustard from them :rolleyes:

http://www.drgonzos.com/pc-29-6-moose-river-adirondack-blackfly-mustard.aspx

29.jpg