Not the blue hole, but something like it

flashingVlights

Dec 15, 2007
I have seen pictures of some kind of body of water in the Pines that looks like the Caribbean or something. It's not The Blue Hole because it's like a huge lake. A girl that I work with went and I saw pictures and i literally asked her "oh, when did you go on vacation?"
I don't know what it's called or anything so if somebody could help me out that'd be nice.

This is completely unrelated, but just out of curiousity, are there cults on Mount Misery? hahahahaha sorry.

I think this might be it: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/923361068_5e11d3c325.jpg?v=0

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have seen pictures of some kind of body of water in the Pines that looks like the Caribbean or something. It's not The Blue Hole because it's like a huge lake. A girl that I work with went and I saw pictures and i literally asked her "oh, when did you go on vacation?"
I don't know what it's called or anything so if somebody could help me out that'd be nice.

This is completely unrelated, but just out of curiousity, are there cults on Mount Misery? hahahahaha sorry.

it could be a few different lakes such as Atsion, Oswego, Absegami, etc. You need to be more specific.

There are no cults "AT" Mount Misery, unless you call a mainstream religion a cult.

Guy

flashingVlights

Dec 15, 2007
well I mean, it's different than normal lakes becuase the water is super blue.

And I only asked about Mount Misery becuase I had an experience there where I've never been more scared in my life, and a few weeks ago I met someone who encountered something much scarier than I did, but similar nonetheless.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
well I mean, it's different than normal lakes becuase the water is super blue.

And I only asked about Mount Misery becuase I had an experience there where I've never been more scared in my life, and a few weeks ago I met someone who encountered something much scarier than I did, but similar nonetheless.

I understand now. You are into the paranormal and ghosts. You won't find many answers here.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was not being mean. The below quote made me believe that is what you were into.

Guy

flashingVlights

Dec 15, 2007
Well I think the Pine Barrens, especially at night are pretty scary, and what happened was scary, but I didn't think it was anything but my nerves until somebody else mentioned the same thing.

Oh, and thank you Bob. Do you know anything else about that lake? I go to school in Philly, so now I'm home for a month and all I want to do is go out and drive into the Pines. But having a destination would be nice for once, instead of drivign around aimlessly and trying to find my way back home.

flashingVlights

Dec 15, 2007
Can you actually go to these places though? hahahha Like have a picnic or something. I don't want to go and find out it's like fenced off or anything.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think the time of day and angle at which you take a photograph has a lot to do with the apparent color of the water. Basically, you're looking at a reflection of the blue sky under certain conditions.

Now the Google Earth/Google Maps images are another thing. I believe they are "false colored". Those images are evidently the ones taken in 2002 by the state of NJ, but if you look on the iMap NJ website the color is very different.

Take a look at the images of Sim Place on Topozone for example (scroll down the page to the bottom right): http://www.topozone.com/net/mappack.aspx?lat=39.74273&lon=-74.3766

Notice that the foliage color is red and the water is bright blue. These are identified as infra red images, so you aren't seeing the real visible colors. I think Google has just turned the red parts green to make them look more like visible light images.

BTW Guy - I see that the lake in your Google link isn't on the USGS Topo map: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.74273&lon=-74.3766&datum=nad83&u=4&layer=DRG&size=s&s=50

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Remember they are all private property, but with that said: The one at Sim Place has a gate along the road keeping you from getting to it by car. There are homes along that road so you are best not to try that one. But the one at Woodmansie you can get to it from walking through the woods and get to the outer edge of it where there is nobody around. That is if you want to go on their property. BTW, when you see it the water is green not blue.

Boyd, the one along Burrs Mill Road is also not on it. I was there today. The road there has no parking signs along it in the woods Odd! I believe they are doing that to keep the sand trucks from parking there.

EDIT: My mistake, it is on the topo.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Oh, and thank you Bob. Do you know anything else about that lake?

I was at that one Flash, and the water is uniquely turquoise-aqua color, but I suppose that depends on the sky and sunshine. If you want to see one up close, go to Warren Grove, then turn right at the firehouse (going south on 539). Stay on that road until you see a large mound of dirt on your left (like a dike) paralleling the road. Climb up it and on the other side you'll see the one at Warren Grove.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at that one Flash, and the water is uniquely turquoise-blue, but I suppose that depends on the sky and sunshine. If you want to see one up close, go to Warren Grove, then turn right at the firehouse (going south on 539). Stay on that road until you see a large mound of dirt on your left (like a dike) paralleling the road. Climb up it and on the other side you'll see the one at Warren Grove.

That's the one I posted.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.74...spn=0.00641,0.011909&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Interesting... here's some of the scientific basis for why water is blue: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm

Because the absorption which gives water its color is in the red end of the visible spectrum, one sees blue, the complementary color of red, when observing light that has passed through several meters of water. This color of water can also be seen in snow and ice as an intense blue color scattered back from deep holes in fresh snow. Blue to bluegreen hues are also scattered back when light deeply penetrates frozen waterfalls and glaciers.

Water owes its intrinsic blueness to selective absorption in the red part of its visible spectrum. The absorbed photons promote transitions to high overtone and combination states of the nuclear motions of the molecule, i.e. to highly excited vibrations.