NPR radio report on geocaching and geocaching.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Boredom set in at work today, so I put on the headphones to listen to the radio which I rarely do. It does not help my worsening tinitus, and since music was out of the question, the only station I could receive and listen to that was talk only was NPR. It was perfect timing because they were starting a report on Geocaching with it's good points and bad. They even interviewed Jeremy Irish who you may or may not know is the founder of geocaching.com, and asked him a few questions.

Anyway, during the report they mentioned that it is illegal to place a geocache on ANY federal land such as parks or forests, because there have been many incidents of people digging up historical sites to place their tupperware container. Not to mention people trampling all over the area trying to find them.

This started me thinking about state parks or forests and how that effects the geocache enthusiasts in the pines. More importantly, since the area is a National Reserve as the sign says on Apple Pie Hill, and was established by Congress, there may be a possibility that it is illegal to place a tupperware or similar container in the pines, and if caught it may be a federal offense.

Since I don't geocache it does not effect me, so does anyone elsehave any input on this?

Also, if you have not been to Apple Pie Hill to see the sign, I am taking the liberty of posting the link below of member bnsilly's photo of the sign at Apple Pie Hill. Thanks for the photo bnsilly.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/albums/albun15/aak.sized.jpg

Guy

TeeGate said:
All,

Anyway, during the report they mentioned that it is illegal to place a geocache on ANY federal land such as parks or forests, because there have been many incidents of people digging up historical sites to place their tupperware container. Not to mention people trampling all over the area trying to find them.

Guy

Guy, I'm sure that may happen sometimes but I don't think that is the norm. I've been a little involved with Geocaching and my friend KenDawg is very into it. I've only found about 11 caches and not one has been buried. KenDawg has found close to 200 hundred of them and tells me none have been buried. The caches are usually hidden under leaves, branches and such. As far as trampling goes, I don't think it's any worse than just exploring an area.

My .02

Steve the part time Geocacher full time explorer. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Guy, I'm sure that may happen sometimes but I don't think that is the norm. I've been a little involved with Geocaching and my friend KenDawg is very into it. I've only found about 11 caches and not one has been buried. KenDawg has found close to 200 hundred of them and tells me none have been buried. The caches are usually hidden under leaves, branches and such. As far as trampling goes, I don't think it's any worse than just exploring an area.

My .02

Steve the part time Geocacher full time explorer. :D

Steve,

tneigel has been on our outings, and Ben Ed and I have found a few of his in the pines in the past, and they were not buried. But I am sure that some of them by others are. The NPR report also said that some of them are now underwater for divers to search for. Basically I was wondering if it actually is illegal to place them there even if they are not buried. It would be interesting to know.

Thanks for responding.

BTW I had mentioned before that I was going to go to the lake at 532 but never did. The next time I am in the area I will head back there and check it out. Thanks for the photo's.

Guy

TeeGate said:
BTW I had mentioned before that I was going to go to the lake at 532 but never did. The next time I am in the area I will head back there and check it out. Thanks for the photo's.

Guy

Make sure you put on some Deet. The trail starts as an over grown road but ends as a deer path. Look for the path just east of 532, across from the cranberry place. This road does not show on any topo I've seen. I found it using an aerial photo.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Steve, do you mean that vernal pond in the woods almost directly across from 532 (the section that heads towards Chatsworth)?

If so, I was there in 1999 and it was dry. Is there water in it now? The leatherleaf is taking it over in succession.

bob

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I read somewhere that it's open to the particular jurisdiction to decide if they allow caches there or not.

I believe caches are okay in NJ as long as they're not in ammo containers.

There are a ton of caches in Allaire State Park.