NY's new law

Status
Not open for further replies.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They went way overboard IMO; some of the line items make good sense, some are common sense, some are just plain stupid. Hopefully it won't find its way south.

Provisions in a sweeping gun control law passed by the New York Legislature Tuesday:

-Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.
-Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.
-Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.
-Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.
-Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
-Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.
-Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.
-Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
-Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.
-Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.
-Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.
-Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.
-Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.
A
-Restrict bequeathing a firearm upon the owners death.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reactions: skip3

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
One of the biggest issues, as I see it, is the first bullet, no pun intended :) If a state can create their own definiton of an item, the next assault weapon could be a pressure washer.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Rest assured 46er, New Jersey will surely try to out-do all of NY and Maryland..
I just received this from the NRA ILA about an hour ago. It is a synopsis of planned legislation efforts from all of our deeply concerned but woefully ignorant, Democrat friends in the NJ Legislature

I recieved the same email Scott.....Interesting; On Monday, I dropped off my wife's firearm I.D. Card application at my local P.D. The detective who took it told me "We'll respond when we can, we're putting a hold on all of these indefinately" I responded by telling him that you can't, it's against the state constitution, you can't put a hold on it. His reply was "If you keep talking, you'll never get it"

I have emailed & called the NJ 2nd Amendment Society & just had a lengthy conversation with a local firearm advocate.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Muck, more than likely the police department is overwhelmed by the number of FOID applications. I spoke with with the detective who does the background checks here in Trenton and he said that if I were to apply for a pistol as of Monday, I would be applicant number one thousand and sixty three. I waited seventy days last year for a permit and the atmosphere wasn't what it is today. I can't begin to imagine what the wait would be now, probably over a year. So much for a response within thirty days.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
46er,

I am confused as hell. You reported your own post to Ben and myself. Did you accidentally click on the "Report" button?

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er,

I am confused as hell. You reported your own post to Ben and myself. Did you accidentally click on the "Report" button?

Guy

Me too. Perhaps the 'button' was hit, didn't see anything that said I did. Just classify me as guilty and throw me in the slag heap.

Red, it felt like....

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here is the banned list from NY. Over 150 AR variants in any caliber by specific named manufacturers banned !
There is a link to the complete law embedded in the preamble.

Frightening. The shotgun banned list includes "tactical" versions of otherwise conventional shotguns like the Remington 1100 and Remington Versa-max.
Apparently, a flat black finish and a choke tube with little teeth will get you on the banned list.

:eek:
Better paint it pink.

http://troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/NYS_SAFE_Act/

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The more problematic provision is the requirement that all magazines, (pistol, rifle, shotgun, slingshot) that have a capacity greater than 7 rounds be sold out of state within a year. That puts quite a few firearms in the useless category until someone offers some type of plug or new mags. It is not really clear if a plug would be legal. It will probably all go to the courts.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Clearly folks have not got the memo about no political posts that don't pertain to the Pine Barrens.

This is a forum about the Pine Barrens. Why are folks thinking that it's okay to discuss a) gun control and b) a law in New York?

I guess I need to make it more clear: STOP POSTING THIS SHIT.

Reactions: joc and Boyd
Status
Not open for further replies.