Observations of core area Pine Barrens water

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
From perusing some of the many postings on this site I am glad to see that many of the folks who contribute have been involved in one way or another with this area since the 1970's and in some cases even earlier.

Have you observed that there is less surface water in the various spungs, savannahs, creeks, rivers?

Also my understanding was that historically many springs would form at the surface during heavy rain events as sub surface aquifers would overflow. Do you see this still happening and if yes is it as frequent or less frequent?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know that on the Hartman maps as well as other old maps there are many areas listed as ponds and running streams that today are dry all year long. I Have found old wells that appear to be thirty feet deep and supposedly once held water but they are all dry now.I don't have the data to back it up but just from reading historical accounts of terrain and then exploring various areas today I"d say the water table is dropping. I know of old Mill locations on streams that today are barely a trickle and I have wondered what powered this mill? That?

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Thank you Manumuskin and dogg57. It's not Pine Barrens but I know that the creeping salt line is a big concern for the old growth woods in Cumberland county. I am not up to speed on Pinelands Commission topics but I hope monitoring aquifer and surface water levels is something they are tracking. The saying "Water is Life" certainly applies in the Pinelands for its flora/fauna and mankind that utilizes all its benefits. I appreciate the replies.

Reactions: manumuskin