[Oct 23, 2011] 10th Annual Pine Barrens Cleanup (Shamong NJ)

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006

10th ANNUAL PINE BARRENS CLEANUP at WHARTON STATE FOREST

10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a DECADE!!!!!!!!

Come and take part in the largest one-day volunteer event at Wharton State Forest in New Jersey. On Oct 23rd 2011 at 9:00 AM the 10th annual PINE BARRENS 4 WHEEL DRIVE CLEANUP will begin with a sign up at the Atsion Ranger stations [where raffle tickets will also be sold to help defray the cost of wings and to support toys for kids] and conclude with the raffle and wing fest at the Pic a Lilly restaurant on rt 206 [they always help us out too]

Last year OVER 300 men, women and children collected two 30 cubic yard dumpsters full of trash while making new friends and enjoying the wonders of the pines. While doing this they worked up a voracious appetite that was satiated by hundreds of wings donated by clubs, businesses and individuals. Everyone had a great time and said they couldn’t wait till next year.

We are now soliciting past participants, 4 wheel drive clubs and local and national business’ to contribute time and resources to make this year’s event another overwhelming success.

This as a great opportunity to showcase a partnership for keeping our state lands clean and our right to transverse them unhindered. The rangers and staff at Wharton have embraced us and lend their time and support to help us have a safe and fun time. Terry at the ranger station has been a godsend to us and NOW MORE than ever the state of NJ park and forest system needs our help.

ALSO REMEMBER to bring toys for the disadvantaged kids who live where we wheel..

Last year we collected a lot of stuff for needy children for the holidays at the sign up spot at the Atsion ranger station and bought an additional 850 dollars worth of toys with the money YOU contributed!!!!!!!

Please be a part of this worthwhile event. Contact Michael Tarsia to see how your family, organization or business can contribute to this worthy cause.

Thank you in advance for your dedication to a beautiful, clean and accessible state forest system.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS ON YOUR LOCAL CLUB or MAGAZINE EVENT PAGE TO GET THE WORD OUT!

SEE YOU THERE!!!!!!!

MIKE TARSIA

miket69@verizon.net

Reactions: dogg57

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
we always hit apple pie.. hopefully we can persuade people to go out into smaller groups.. it's seem the more people the less we do

we may also be painting bridges too

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
i have to speak to terry at the ranger station ..we talked about it ..but i think it has to be cleared with the state..i'll call her this weekend..it was amazing to have over 300 people and we sure did get a lot of toys for needy kids..but 15 vehicles in groups picking up bottles and trash and it really wastes time..1 person up front stops and so does everyone eles

GUIDES are always needed..this year i'm having people at my house and we are going to make signs and pick routes

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
CleanUp-ToysForTots2010005_2.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The cleanup was a good capper to the PBX hike and an all-pines weekend for me.
Participation looked to be at a record high. If others from this site were there, I am sorry I didn't know who you were.
Turtle (Terry) from this site is extremely proactive in this operation and always a pleasure to speak with. Terry also brought Gloria (Glowordz) to venture along with her.

My wife and I cleaned a pretty good stretch of the woods down here in Pestletown. We hit all the usual lazy slob spots loaded with Wawa cups and beer cans and a couple of more serious spots which included old stockade fence, drywall, plywood and a complete, shattered, double paned sliding glass door on the east side of the bog in front of my house.
Three overflowing loads in my F-350 is a pretty sad statement.

Earlier in the day I thought things were getting a little better around here until we came upon a complete demo'd travel trailer that someone compacted into a dump body and then dumped off of Chew Road. When we arrived some Jeepers said they had called one of their group and they were going to try to get a loader and a separate dumpster for it. I don't know when that will happen and I am not holding my breath.

I topped off my second load with the freshwater holding tank, rolls of insulation, the coutertop, miscellaneous panels and the emblem from the camper ironically called a "Rockwood".
Old Mr. Rockwood would be kickin' his coffin lid if he could see what has been done to the woods just down the road from his cranberry operations.

A few pics.

A load of fence, possibly from someone very local. (We called it in a few months ago but no positive results)
img_1161.jpg

The water tank from the camper which was dumped in a rectangular mass out of a dump truck.
img_1163.jpg

The Rockwood emblem.
img_1164.jpg

As always a good time at the Pic followed with lots of wings and cold frosty ones.
It's just sad that you have to clean up someone else's sh-t to have a good time in the end.

Scott

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
I heard about the clean-up two days before the event.Had a previous event i had to attend.Iknow i could have mustered out a few crews.Been there with the Enduro gang many times.Good event cleaning up behind a bunch of stupid slobs.