Off-road Article

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Al says it's Trumps fault? I don't know weather to laugh at his pitiful self or choke on my supper I"m eating???

Yeah that seemed to come out of nowhere...

Regardless, besides stepping up enforcement, I can't imagine many other compromises between allowing responsible motorists to recreate in the Pine Barrens and closing the roads to motor vehicles to keep the abusers out (the latter should never be an option in my opinion). Tough situation.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Makes me wonder how Mr. Horner get to where He was when he seen those trucks riding through the woods? Does he walk everywhere He goes? I know He would never drive a petroleum powered vehicle down the sand roads of the Pine Barrens.After the things he's written that would be an enitrely hypocritical thing to do.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This line is interesting. That sure was a long week as I remember it :)

its Motorized Access Plan, was withdrawn only a week after its publication in 2015 amid a storm of protest by the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MuckSavage

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have edited a post here. It is fine to discuss this topic in relation to the Pines, but please don't post off-topic remarks about current political events. Thanks!

Last edited:

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
“We are experiencing multiple, systemic, institutional failures,” I love these terms that are coined to make things either sound worse or better then they really are.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Dave Demsey is standing in front of a truck with 4 foot tires. That is a really bad look.

I don't see hunters with trucks like that. I don't have a truck like that. Al Horner and I am guessing most of the people on this forum don't either.

If people are joy riding through the woods, getting off on their machine, instead of appreciating nature or history or botany or geology, the state is eventually going to shut things down. They already are in Wharton.

To get onto the beach in Brigantine or Island Beach State Park you have to be a fisherman and prove it. And have a permit.

Maybe they ought to permit driving through Wharton.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The permit issue was discussed during the MAP fiasco and the state was against it. And in reality it would be a logistic nightmare. And many individuals who had one would think that gave them the freedom to drive anywhere, including wetlands.

We should not judge Dave on the size of his tires even though it may look bad. I see people with a snorkel and by looking at the vehicle I can see it has never touched a dirt road. And I believe Dave travels to places where events are set up that he can if he wants run with those tires.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Agree it's not a good look, and it surely was no accident they chose that pic to use.
The article was to push an agenda

They say New Jersey has no clear policy, but they do.
Policy is that no "off road" is permitted, but to the average reader off asphalt = "off road"
Just the way the PPA, Jason, Al and others like it and want it.
Everyone here know's there's plenty of maps available to use going back a long time.
It's just they allow more access than the anti access folks like...

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Funny, just read the Crimson tide article

“Hi, Sam,” I said, when the farmer answered his cell phone. “I don’t know where I am.”
“Are you on a paved or dirt road?”
“Paved.”
“Keep going until it’s dirt, and then keep going until you get here.”

:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Funny, just read the Crimson tide article

“Hi, Sam,” I said, when the farmer answered his cell phone. “I don’t know where I am.”
“Are you on a paved or dirt road?”
“Paved.”
“Keep going until it’s dirt, and then keep going until you get here.”

:)

Exactly as it really is. It ends at his house :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Agree it's not a good look, and it surely was no accident they chose that pic to use.
The article was to push an agenda

They say New Jersey has no clear policy, but they do.
Policy is that no "off road" is permitted, but to the average reader off asphalt = "off road"
Just the way the PPA, Jason, Al and others like it and want it.
Everyone here know's there's plenty of maps available to use going back a long time.
It's just they allow more access than the anti access folks like...

I guess if anyone has a reporter of photographer visit them, you need to be careful on what is around you.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You don't need to be a fisherman to get on to IBSP although you do need to have a fishing pole with you.
I called IBSP a couple of years ago. The woman told me don't bother buying the permit if you aren't a fisherman. She said you must be fishing to drive onto the beach. I saw a photographer's video (Milky Way Mike) who tried to drive onto the beach and was turned away because he did not have bait, even though he had fishing gear.

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
In reference to the comments on the article and the pic of Dave and his Jeep. I believe the posted statute for legally driving on state forest roads or any roads in NJ for that matter is having the vehicle registered and insured legally and also inspection for vehicles that require it nowadays. Just because a truck is lifted and has larger tires on it does not mean the driver is a lawbreaker, it's merely a personal preference. Perception is reality, I will give you that, but as I have said before, benefit of the doubt is what counts. Just like every person with a Harley is not a Pagan or Warlock, but are perceived that way by some. While I do understand where most of you are coming from, let's not let this thread go off the deep end like most others on this topic have.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just saw this. I bet it is not Dave :)

pp.jpg