Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,921029,00.html

Published in the Asbury Park Press 3/08/04
JOE ZEDALIS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
BERKELEY -- They may be off-road, but many favorite four-wheeling sites are still off-limits.

Berkeley police have pooled resources with the Ocean County Sheriff's Department and Dover Township Police Department to form an Off-Road Safety Patrol.

"The riders impact private property and sometimes environmentally sensitive areas," Berkeley Police Chief John Weinlein said. "Some of the areas used by riders butt up against senior citizen communities in Silver Ridge and Holiday City," he said. "We field complaints about noise and, occasionally, property damage."

Weinlein said patrols would be out as much as possible. On one patrol late last fall, the four-man squad impounded 17 off-road vehicles.

Berkeley is one of several Ocean County municipalities cracking down on off-road riders.

"One of the reasons I stopped riding was because there weren't any places you could ride legally," Berkeley Officer Rip Bondulich said.

"In the past year and a half, there has been a significant decline in ATV sales," said Tom Cleary, the general manager of Wheels Motor Sports, South Toms River, and an off-road rider. "There is a small group ruining it for the rest of us.

"Officers from the Sheriff's Department came in for a price quote, and I told them the little money I make on their ATVs, I lose on the people who won't buy them because the police are out chasing them around," Cleary said.

Suburban sprawl is also reducing the number of undeveloped areas where riders don't infringe on home owners and businesses.

"When a customer comes in, the first question I usually get is 'Where can I ride this?' " Cleary said.

The choices of publicaly accessible places to ride are few. It's either The New Jersey Off-Road Vehicle Park in Chatsworth, Burlington County, or illegally.

The New Jersey Off-Road Vehicle Park is a 250-acre site open to motorcycles and other off-road vehicles. Memberships are offered for between $75 and $300, depending on the age of the rider. A day pass can be purchased for $50 on weekends and holidays.

The Berkeley ordinance allows impounded vehicles to be held until after court disposition, with fines of $500 and $1,000 possible. Bondulich said state law prohibits riding on private property without the written permission of the property owner. Summonses will be written for equipment violations and uninsured vehicles as well.

At a favorite riding spot in a former gravel pit west of Route 9 known locally as the WOBM pit, Bondulich said he has seen as many as 50 riders there.

Sheriff's Officer Pat McIntyre said, "The problem is they build fires and sometimes leave beer cans and beer bottles laying around."

Sheriff's Officer Ken Austin said, "There are instances where there is underaged drinking as well."

The Sheriff's Department has two Honda 350 Ranchers. Berkeley has one Polaris 400 and wants to purchase others after the township budget is passed. Sheriff's Sgt. Mike Osborn said his department offers aid as part of the Safe Life Program.

"Our officers will go to any municipality that requests us," Osborn said. "So far only Berkeley and Dover townships have requested our help."

Bondulich said the old Central Railroad line is also a favorite riding spot. Osborn said riders have also been seen in the outer reaches of the county-owned Robert J. Miller Airpark.

"We want to take a proactive approach," Weinlein said. "The problem has worsened in some areas, and we are patrolling areas where there is perceived to be problem riders."

Weinlein admitted the patrols are costly. Bondulich is paid overtime with each patrol, and Cleary said the vehicles, know as "quads," can cost as much as $6,000.

Weinlein said signs will be posted around the township telling off-road riders they are subject to fines.

Joe Zedalis: (732) 557-5735 or joeze@app.com

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
My response to yourviews@app.com:

Your recent article entitled "Off-Road Rage at the Shore" highlights the
challenges faced by the off-road enthusiast community, and the negative
press that the sport constantly receives.

There are several factors that contribute to the illegal use of ATV's. As
Officer Rip Bondulich said "One of the reasons I stopped riding was
because there weren't any places you could ride legally." As was stated in
the article, the only legal place to ride that is open to the public is
the ATV Park in Chatsworth. Unfortunately the park isn't conveniently
located for those riders who live in extreme North and South Jersey.
Furthermore, attempts at opening new ATV parks have been thwarted by
residents suffering from "not in my backyard" syndrome. An example of this
was the plan to put at ATV park in the Jungle Habitat property in West
Milford.

Last year Bradley Campbell, the commissioner, passed new legislation
regarding the use of ATVs on public land. This law reinforced the
restrictions on illegal ATVs - those that are not registered or insured -
and increased fines for those riders who use registered ATVs on public
land. The fine now is $1000 per offense, and those found riding an
unregistered ATV face impounding of the vehicle. As a concession to
riders, however, a goal of having two new parks opened for riders by 2005
was set. The New Jersey Trails Council, an advisory body to the DEP, was
charged with the task of bringing together a cross-section of interested
environmental, recreational, ORV industry and ORV user groups to find
places suitable for riders. To date, no formal plans for opening such a
facility have been presented, and riders still have only one place to
ride. The passage of this law singlehandedly ruined ATV use for those who
ride legally and respect the law. Those who choose to ignore the law - the
minority that cause the most visible problems - will flaunt this new law
just as they have with the previous ones. The only people hurt are those
who would have rode legally.

The second issue is with the regulations regarding the sale of ATVs.
Unlike automobiles which are registered by the dealership at the time of
sale, ATVs can be purchased and never registered. If there were mandatory
regulations regarding the registration and insurance of ATVs, it would cut
down on the number of illegal riders, and make them feel more responsible
for their actions. In addition, money from ATV registrations can be
funneled back into programs designed to regulate and control illegal ATV
use.

In my experience, most of the ATV riders I have seen have been young.
Certainly not old enough to operate any type of motor vehicle. New Jersey
regulations allow for a rider as young as 16 to operate an ATV or moped.
Children this young should not be trusted to act responsibly on the trail
when not supervised by a parent. The establishment of an ATV licensing
program similar to that which is used for motorcycles would ensure that
riders are older, and take the responsibility of ATV use much more
seriously.

Unfortunately the laws passed by Bradley Campbell and the heel-dragging of
opening up new ATV parks will ensure that those who would have ridden
legally and safely will be off the trails, while those who care nothing
for the law will continue to ride wherever they want, without regard to
the law or the environment.

Ben Ruset
Webmaster, www.NJPineBarrens.com

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
It's unfortunate that the few always ruin it for the rest. I can see users riding legally but when the few insist on trespassing, littering and destroying private property something has to be done.

Why not confiscate those ATVs when caught riding illegally more than once? It would save tax-payers the money for the OT and for purchasing ATVs to enforce the law.

This should significantly cut down on illegal riding.