Offroad article in the Asbury Park Press

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was able to read it on my phone and Jessica was on her iPad. It is the usual Jason and Emile complaining about damage. They are right about the damage, but Jason wants the federal government to step in and make it a national park which would keep all of us out. Everything they do is to limit our use even if you follow the rules.

The first paragraph had us laughing.

The sand "road" to Mount Tabor, one of the highest peaks in the Pine Barrens, is littered with ditches that could swallow a sedan whole. Fortunately, Jason Howell's truck was up to the task.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wonder who owns that property.

Yes, Emile and Jason are right in the damage. No getting around that. We've said it years ago, and it still remains true today; the root cause of endangering our freedom to use the roads is the people who treat the pines like a huge ATV park and proving ground for their truck modifications.

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
The damage will continue till the rules and laws are enforced which means more park police and OFF ROAD CAPABLE VEHICLES for the park police to use not the soccer mom trucks they currently are using bringing in the feds wont do a damn thing but screw everything up and screw all but the chosen few

Reactions: NJChileHead

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I actually agree with Emile and Jason on most of their opinions that I know about; however, I can't condone in any way trying to stop anyone who has respect for the woods from doing what they already do. And I believe most people feel the same way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder who owns that property.

Yes, Emile and Jason are right in the damage. No getting around that. We've said it years ago, and it still remains true today; the root cause of endangering our freedom to use the roads is the people who treat the pines like a huge ATV park and proving ground for their truck modifications.
I am not an expert on Colliers Mill as I rarely go there. I believe the location is at the link below. It is state property. If I am wrong on the location please let me know. If I am correct I can tell you that as far back as 2004 when I was there damage was occurring.

IMG_4469a.jpg

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
A few points from the article -

"Howell ...In one scene, while patrolling near Forked River Mountains in Lacey, his truck gets swallowed by a massive puddle and remains stuck for hours."

W
ho or what gives him the authority to "patrol"? what is he patrolling for?

"As Howell's souped-up truck struggled to negotiate the ditch-strewn paths" is different than "monster trucks" "illegally spinning wheels" possibly? nice play on words to attract attention

"In another, he encounters a truckload of off-roading teens who traveled from Virginia" with NJ license plates :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
So basically Jason wants to be able to drive around the woods in his "souped up" truck but keep everyone else out.

I also agree with their opinions (generally) but I don't like their methods. It will limit access to regular people who don't break the law, not stop the damage in any way, and will be impossible to undo when it becomes obvious that it's a failure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will limit access to regular people who don't break the law, not stop the damage in any way, and will be impossible to undo when it becomes obvious that it's a failure.
For sure!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
It's hard for me to comment on this without becoming infuriated. On the one hand, I (obviously) do wish people would be more responsible and have more respect for the land that we all share. On the other hand, it would be nice if the people who manage the land have more consideration for how much they would be punishing the law-abiding taxpayers of this state if they shut the land out to everyone. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses over the years, but I am afraid that in the end they will start shutting down access, small section by small section (with the most damaged sections being shut first), and eventually the MAP will be actualized. I hope that's not the case, but I can see it happening.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think it's very likely to happen as well. Clearly people like Jason are doing a PR tour, taking journalists out for a ride in the woods, having their filmmaker friends make "documentaries", etc. It's very easy to paint people who want to keep access open as the kinds of people who want to bring their trucks with 40" tires in and drive anywhere they want because "I'm a taxpayer". I think the average person would read a one sided article like that, say "huh yeah they shouldn't be tearing up the woods" and then support a flawed agenda for a MAP without realizing what is really at stake.

This is why, when I advocate against mass closures, I stress that I don't even own a truck anymore and I also consider myself as someone who is incredibly interested in protecting our environment. (Which is all true.)

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
" I am afraid that in the end they will start shutting down access, small section by small section (with the most damaged sections being shut first), and eventually the MAP will be actualized. I hope that's not the case, but I can see it happening."
This is happening now, and has been for quite some time. Take notice next time to how many more "little brown signs" are around closing different areas. The only problem is, the closures are one sided and have no input from any stakeholders

Last edited:

auto

Feb 14, 2014
I visit here often, but don't really comment. First off this damage didn't happen in a couple weekends. It took years of the state looking the other way and letting it get to this condition. This happened down south at Jemima mount. The state let it get destroyed and then it made off limits. Everyone was well aware a long time ago what was happening and nothing was done. Now they have graphic photos to use to there advantage. After they succeed in stopping all motorized vehicles from entering OUR state forests,the horse people will be next.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The folks at Open Trails NJ did a lot of work putting barriers and stuff up at Jemima which has pretty much stopped the damage to the hill. The people who want to close the forest were offered the opportunity to help erect the barriers but declined.* OTNJ doesn't get enough credit for the hard work they did.

* Which, in my opinion, proves that saving the environment isn't as important to them as locking people out of the forest. It just wouldn't do to have people from that camp working with the off-road community to find a solution. It's much easier to keep demonizing them every chance they get.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
The folks at Open Trails NJ did a lot of work putting barriers and stuff up at Jemima which has pretty much stopped the damage to the hill. The people who want to close the forest were offered the opportunity to help erect the barriers but declined.* OTNJ doesn't get enough credit for the hard work they did.

* Which, in my opinion, proves that saving the environment isn't as important to them as locking people out of the forest. It just wouldn't do to have people from that camp working with the off-road community to find a solution. It's much easier to keep demonizing them every chance they get.
Is OTNJ still active? Haven't seen anything from them in a while?