Old Hotel That Never Was on the Mullica

Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
I remember reading about a hotel that was being built on the Mullica. Not sure, but I think the owner abandoned it and never finished. Then someone else tried to finish it and he lived there till it burned down in the 1980's.
Yesterday, I found a beautiful stone structure overlooking the Mullica. It was made of the iron ore rocks, some old bricks, concrete, and some sort of mortar that did not look like cement.. When I looked closer, in the mortar was cracked (finely) pieces of beer bottles, the glass was thin and not old looking (see the last picture). The mortar looked like some local clay or something, very sandy.
Is this the hotel? It didn't look too old because of the concrete and the tons of crushed thin glass beer bottles, but when I walked the beach, washed up along the shore was a lot of very old looking bottle parts (all cracked) that were within 30 ft of this structure.
I forgot to mention...there was one telephone pole close to this structure, but I did not see any others.

I
photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: relayer
Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
I found my own answer. This was a never finished house. Wharton State Park Rangers found that this house was being built on state land, so it was never finished. It was a home , not a hotel. No fire.

Reactions: Ben Ruset
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The structure was built prior to the State's purchase of the Wharton tract. Budd Wilson surmises that the construction was halted when the Wharton heirs discovered it some 100 years ago or so.

Reactions: coppersisters
Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
The structure was built prior to the State's purchase of the Wharton tract. Budd Wilson surmises that the construction was halted when the Wharton heirs discovered it some 100 years ago or so.
Thanks Pinelandpaddler. I didn't think it was that old! In the first pic I posted, you can see the crushed, thin glass mixed in with the mortar. To me it looked like the glass was from beer bottles, as the area is loaded with beer bottles.
And the story I posted about it was a video on youtube.