Old Pine Barrens Photos Wanted

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Karen Riley, author of Whispers in the Pines: The Secrets of Colliers Mills as well as Voices in the Pines: True Stories from the New Jersey Pine Barrens is working on a Pine Barrens book for Arcadia Publishing. She wanted me to post on the forums asking if anybody had any old photos she could scan. In her words:

I am on the hunt for old photos, figuring the best will probably be stashed away in attics and basements. Can you put the word out on your website that I am looking for these vintage photos? Contributors will be credited in the book, original photos (no newspaper clippings) will be returned and they will receive a free copy of the new book. Deadline is December 31, 2009 (earlier is better) to get these to me. (I can come to their residence and scan them if they want, so the photo never leaves their possession).

You can reach Karen at kfrcommunications1@gmail.com.

Folks:

Arcadia books are what they are and I do collect them for my library. The company has published over 350 books about New Jersey. However, you all need to be aware that when you provide images for someone compiling such a book today, you will lose control of that image and its distribution. In the past, historical societies and individuals have allowed compilers a one-time use of a photograph. Unfortunately, now Arcadia is building a database of all the images used in their books and will be selling prints of those photographs to any and all with Arcadia receiving all of the money. So, they profit twice—once with publishing the book and also with selling the images from the database. I am not trying to shoot down what Karen or anyone else is attempting to do with Arcadia (I will be first in line to buy the book! :)), I just think you should be fully informed of the circumstances involved. If anyone else is considering publishing a similar photo book, you might want to look at Schiffer Publishing in Pennsylvania, who does not have such an onerous contract as Arcadia does these days.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Folks:

Arcadia books are what they are and I do collect them for my library. The company has published over 350 books about New Jersey. However, you all need to be aware that when you provide images for someone compiling such a book today, you will lose control of that image and its distribution. In the past, historical societies and individuals have allowed compilers a one-time use of a photograph. Unfortunately, now Arcadia is building a database of all the images used in their books and will be selling prints of those photographs to any and all with Arcadia receiving all of the money. So, they profit twice—once with publishing the book and also with selling the images from the database. I am not trying to shoot down what Karen or anyone else is attempting to do with Arcadia (I will be first in line to buy the book! :)), I just think you should be fully informed of the circumstances involved. If anyone else is considering publishing a similar photo book, you might want to look at Schiffer Publishing in Pennsylvania, who does not have such an onerous contract as Arcadia does these days.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

So true. If your photos are family treasures and you wish to contribute, ensure you have a use agreement with Acadia Publishing and Ms. Riley, where you retain all rights to the photos and they are allowed for a one time use in this particular book.
This is just good businees and will help to prevent problems and keep friendships in the future should you see your pictures used somewhere you did not intend.

I just went to court this past Wednesday, I represented myself, over a group using some of my pictures. Fortunatley there attorney was not a b*****d and we were able to settle while waiting for court to convene. BTW, I did have a non-use agreement with the group and I am sure that is the reason they settled.