Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice article Ben. Looks like you had a good time. Maybe even stopped in to the tavern :)

Nice marker find. Always interesting, especially when it looks like the original property marker is next to it.

Guy

Do not be mislead! The aliens/government obviously got to Ben first to keep him quiet about certain goings-on at Ongs Hat!

Good article :)

I still have to find Ongs Hat myself, I think from the article I finally realize where I went wrong...

I hope the aliens are there!

P

Pineyprowler

Great article! I wonder who "Early" was or if he/she was even a person? There's a lot of stuff in that area that has plenty of history. It's a shame that most of it is lost in time. I'd love to see what Ong's hat looked like in its prime. Anyways, good writing.

MikeBickerson said:
Do not be mislead! The aliens/government obviously got to Ben first to keep him quiet about certain goings-on at Ongs Hat!

You're right. This is where Borg......I mean Ben was held and assimilated.

PICT0031_Large.sized.jpg

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BEHR655 said:
Nice artical Ben. I thought the name "Stop the Jade" involved a runaway slave.

Steve

Budd did have a problem with a runaway slave. But apparently the creek was called "Stop the Jade" back when Daniel Leeds did his survey in the early 1700's, before Buddtown was founded.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
One thing that I forgot to mention was that the woods around Ongs Hat had a STRONG scent of peppermint.

Bob, any idea why something like that would be?

Sweet pepper bush has a strong spicy smell, so it could be that. Its at the end of its bloom right now, but you may have passed a vibrant patch. Also, sweet fern has a strong smell.......but if it was true peppermint it was probably planted by the ladies club of Ong's Hat....

8)

P

Pineyprowler

Are there any remains of Ong's Hat at all? I doubt that there is but I was wondering if anybody knew. I know that Beck said there was but that was a long time ago. I also found this site on Burlington County and it has a lot of old names to towns in the area such as ong's hat. Thought some of you may be interested. http://www.shovergen.com/njburlin/townships.html

P

Pineyprowler

Yes I've read your article. I've just heard that there was still some remains from the old ong's hat still lying around. I didn't know if it was true or not so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Pineyprowler said:
Yes I've read your article. I've just heard that there was still some remains from the old ong's hat still lying around. I didn't know if it was true or not so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew.

I was just there the other week. If there were ruins around, I would have posted about them.

P

Pineyprowler

There is always the possibility that you have missed something and there is always the possibility that someone on here may know if there are any remains. So I thought that I would ask.