Ongs Hat

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Does anyone know anything about the town of Ongs Hat? I've gone out a few times over the past 3-4 years trying to find it. All I've come up with is that it's "off 72 somewhere". I managed to find Ongs Hat Road (which has a cool trail, the Dot and Brooks Evert trail).

I'm not interested in the crappy time travel and cult stories surrounding the town (well, a lil' bit); I just want to know if anything of the original town is indeed left. A few people have told me foundations are left, while others say nothing remains of Ongs Hat.

I've looked at Mapquest and some other maps; a few have a small dot simply named "Ong" off of 72. But when you go there, there's nothing.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Do you remember the maps I sent you a while back?

Ongs Hat is just a short ways off the 70-72 (Four Mile) Circle.

aai.sized.jpg

And a historic map:

aaj.sized.jpg

There is a resteraunt and some homes there now. I don't think there is anything left of the original town - unless there's something across the road from the resteraunt.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
There was supposedly some cult there (somewhat recently) who built some interdimensional travel device. The gov't supposedly smashed into their compound and killed some of the members. The survivors now live in a parallel dimension with no people......allegedly.

http://www.deoxy.org/inc2.htm has some info about it.

I've always thought it was crap, but time travel does interest me.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
BEHR655 said:
The reasturant is half way between the tavern and the 4 Mile circle. I don't know how you could have missed it.

Haven't gone out that way in over 2 years. Probably just wasn't paying attention.

On that nature trail I mentioned, I did find and old, old stove....must've been from at least the early 1900's. It was stuck in the ground. Behind it I found some old jars. I haven't gone down that trail since then, but I always wondered why that stove was back there. I used to think maybe the town was back in there.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Stu said:
BEHR655 said:
The reasturant is half way between the tavern and the 4 Mile circle. I don't know how you could have missed it.
On that nature trail I mentioned, I did find and old, old stove....must've been from at least the early 1900's. It was stuck in the ground. Behind it I found some old jars. I haven't gone down that trail since then, but I always wondered why that stove was back there. I used to think maybe the town was back in there.

That trail is on Ongs Hat Rd. going towards the village of Buddtown. That's WAY past where Ongs Hat was. If you get to the Magnolia Tavern, you went too far.

I attempted to rescue a snapping turtle on Ongs Hat Rd. I tried to move it off the road and it attacked me so I left it there. I guess it got out of the way because I didn't see any smashed turtle the next day.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Are you talking about the author Joseph Matheny? Matheny never said it was a hoax.
He more or less said there wasn't enough evidence to prove anything did or didn't happen. I know it would have to be pretty bizarre if it did. Not to mention that there was never a trailer camp found where they did their experiments or evidence there was a camp back in the woods of Ongs Hat Road. Still interesting to read if you are into Chaos Theory.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
We were looking around that area on Mapquest once and found what looked like a small group of trailers. It was by the Four Mile Circle, so we were psyched that we found the group's location. That was a few years back though; I never did find that group of trailers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
We were looking around that area on Mapquest once and found what looked like a small group of trailers. It was by the Four Mile Circle, so we were psyched that we found the group's location. That was a few years back though; I never did find that group of trailers.

If the trailers were at the location at the below link, then that is a research facility for a university. That originally was the location of a fire tower before Labanon was built along route 72.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4418550.00011547&e=534425&datum=nad83

Here is one of the trailers there. The bottom photo is the possible footing for a tower there.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/4mile.jpg

Guy