Online Photos

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Can anyone recommend an online photo storage site?
I currently have some photos in Shutterfly but I don't like it very much. For all I know, it may just be one of the better ones out there.
I'm just looking to get a consensus on what's the easiest and highest quality site out there. I'm also looking for a cost range from $0 all the way up to $0.

Thanks,

Jay

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
For starters, check with your internet provider. Most of them (such as Comcast and Verizon) include free webspace with your plan where you can store files, and may also include some kind of gallery software. So you may already have something you don't even realize!

Aside from that... for $0 you will probably get what you pay for :) You might check out PBase - it look nice but costs $23/year which is pretty cheap: http://www.pbase.com/

Personally I have never used any of these places. I recently bought my own domain and setup a site for personal use, but that's not free and isn't user friendly...

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Thanks Boyd,
I definitely need a user friendly site right now. I'm in the process of loading some pics on photobucket which looks like a nice site but a little confusing as to how to show one album without people seeing every pic I have.
I'll figure it out eventually.

Jay

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
you can make your photobucket private, but link certain pics by using Img tags so that everyone can see them.

I use both flickr and photobucket....I like flickr better. Flickr does not reduce the quality of your images at all. Plus you can make each picture public or private. I bought the premuim member package. (basically lets you upload a unlimited photos and make as many sets as you want)

Hoped I helped

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
you can make your photobucket private, but link certain pics by using Img tags so that everyone can see them.

I use both flickr and photobucket....I like flickr better. Flickr does not reduce the quality of your images at all. Plus you can make each picture public or private. I bought the premuim member package. (basically lets you upload a unlimited photos and make as many sets as you want)

Hoped I helped

Thanks Woody.
I'm trying out photobucket at the moment but I'm having trouble with the privacy thing. Whenever I try to send a certain album along with a password, it allows access to all of my pics. I'll figure it out eventually with the help of the photobucket forum.

Thanks for the advice.

Jay

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I was going to mention Picassa, but as others have said there are quite a few of them. Like Ben I prefer to host my own stuff. I get a linux server at Network Solutions for about $9/mo. that includes 20 gigs of disk space and 400 gigs of monthly bandwidth. I can put anything I want on it, within reason (I don't have shell access, but I could have that for substantially more money). I run Wordpress and some gallery/file software on it now. Gallery2 is a nice package for Apache that almost every hosting company supports.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I get a linux server at Network Solutions for about $9/mo. that includes 20 gigs of disk space and 400 gigs of monthly bandwidth. I can put anything I want on it, within reason (I don't have shell access, but I could have that for substantially more money).

Actually you could have shell access for the same amount at OLM. I have been using them for several years now and have a personal site which includes a domain which cost me $200 for two years. They don't really advertise it, but I have shell access via SSH to my hostname. It's a virtual machine so you are somewhat limited as to what you can do, but for the price it ain't bad :) At work I host a site with them on a fully functional virtual linux server where I can do anything on the shell level. That costs something like $40/mo.

There are lots of different packages from a variety of vendors if you want to "roll your" own site, so shop around for the best deal. But of course, this is straying pretty far from the original question of free photo sharing...

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was going to mention Picassa, but as others have said there are quite a few of them. Like Ben I prefer to host my own stuff. I get a linux server at Network Solutions for about $9/mo. that includes 20 gigs of disk space and 400 gigs of monthly bandwidth. I can put anything I want on it, within reason (I don't have shell access, but I could have that for substantially more money). I run Wordpress and some gallery/file software on it now. Gallery2 is a nice package for Apache that almost every hosting company supports.

Netsol is probably one of the most evil companies on the internet.

I moved my blog over to the same server that I run this site on, but my personal gallery is hosted by Dreamhost. $9.99/yr for some ridiculous amount of space/bandwidth. Granted, it's not the most professional/reliable thing out there, but for sharing the odd photo or two, I don't mind.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
They don't really advertise it, but I have shell access via SSH to my hostname. It's a virtual machine so you are somewhat limited as to what you can do, but for the price it ain't bad :) At work I host a site with them on a fully functional virtual linux server where I can do anything on the shell level.

Uhhhhh........ can I press 2 for English?
:)
I dropped a dinky programming elective at Drexel in 1976 (Fortran maybe?) because it was making my head explode.
Those were the days of keypunch cards. After trying to create a simple routine on a keypunch machine, you had to drop off your cards to a reader.
A graduate student egghead would run them through the big house computer and you picked up your printout later.
In my case, it was to discover that there was some kind of error and it was back to the keypunch machine.
I then whisked myself off to Rutgers for a major in Natural Resource Management. Trees are much more user friendly.
No computers for me.
Oh wait a minute.......
:confused:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I stopped being a Comp Sci major because the program (at the time) was all programming, and I couldn't stand programming. So, I switched to an English major.

Today's kids have it so much better, because the Comp Sci programs are better rounded to the reality of the field -- that not everyone is a programmer.

Can anyone recommend an online photo storage site?
I currently have some photos in Shutterfly but I don't like it very much. For all I know, it may just be one of the better ones out there.
I'm just looking to get a consensus on what's the easiest and highest quality site out there. I'm also looking for a cost range from $0 all the way up to $0.

Thanks,

Jay

Try SmugMug. They have free storage as well as the ability to pay and upgrade if you want. I've been using the middle level upgrade for a couple of years now.
Check out my link below. I just use there template but if you upgrade you can design your own page.
http://behr655.smugmug.com

Main page: http://smugmug.com

Steve

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Uhhhhh........ can I press 2 for English?
:)
I dropped a dinky programming elective at Drexel in 1976 (Fortran maybe?) because it was making my head explode.
Those were the days of keypunch cards.

Haha. 1976 should have been the tail end of the keypunch era... I went through the same thing in 1967 with keypunched ALGOL programs running on a Burroughs B5500 mainframe at the University of Virginia. But in the late 60's and early 70's I thought most schools had so-called "timesharing" systems with ASR-33 teletype machines connected to the mainframe. That was a big advancement because it was interactive - you got immediate feedback on programming errors instead of having to pickup your punch card deck and printout at the computer center. That was also the beginning of BASIC which was a more user-friendly programming language which was also designed to be interactive.

But to get back to the "press 2 for English" question :)....

SSH stands for "secure shell". It's a way you can have a terminal session running in a window on your computer. This provides you with a way to type commands, edit programs, manage files, etc. on a remote unix or linux computer. When you buy a web hosting plan the cheapest ones typically don't allow you to have this level of control over the remote system.

Now to bring this all back on topic for the site... I am still using the pine text-based e-mail program via ssh on a couple of linux systems. Not at all user-friendly by today's standards, but it's comforting to still have the same e-mail interface I was using 20 years ago. But mainly, it's called pine...

:eng101: Extra credit geek question: what does PINE stand for, and why?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Netsol is probably one of the most evil companies on the internet.

I moved my blog over to the same server that I run this site on, but my personal gallery is hosted by Dreamhost. $9.99/yr for some ridiculous amount of space/bandwidth. Granted, it's not the most professional/reliable thing out there, but for sharing the odd photo or two, I don't mind.

I don't like some of their tactics with domain names, but honestly all the registrars pull the same crap. I've had a server on their network for three years, and it's always been up and fast, which is what counts. The web admin is also pretty good (and has gotten a lot better).

I looked around at the last renewal point. Checked out Bluehost and DiscountASP.Net and a few others. I just couldn't find anything that was better by a big enough margin, but then I didn't spend weeks looking either.

Sounds like Boyd has a pretty good deal for a virtual server at $40/mo. I would probably move at the next renewal point for that.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Netsol and Verisign are pretty bad. Register is good, but I'm biased because I work with a bunch of the former RCOM people (the guy who wrote RCOM's first domain name registration system sits across from my desk.) Godaddy has done some pretty awful things in the past too, although some of my domains are registered with them.

Mar 10, 2008
Pine Is Not Elm.

I also use Pico/Nano as my text editor in Linux, much to the shagrin of the vi and emacs guys at work.

My girlfriend is a med student at UW (washington) where PINE was developed. It still serves as the basis for their email, but it has a shiny new, but completely awkward, web interface called, strangely enough, WebPINE. She hates it.

I like vi myself for editing. Although I must say I'm getting lazy and using gedit more and more.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Vi is second nature to me, I use it for all text and html editing under MacOSX and Linux. But unless you came from the era where the 80 character by 24 line CRT terminal was the pinnacle of technology, you probably won't appreciate it. :)