Open vs. Closed Roads On Pine Barrens Maps

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
If you look at maps from various sources it appears that roads such as Stevenson/Red, Beaver Dam, Long Causeway/Baptist and Sims Place Roads are all "public roads" that neighbor private property, much like the road in front of my house. I can hike, ride a bicycle and probably drive a Hummer down all the above roads except Sims Place. Sims Place has gates, the usual no trespassing signs, and assorted large tires blocking access. What gives? Do I need a map reading lesson from Boyd or is there some other issue at work? Note, the above roads are just an example, there are numerous others

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I tried to include as much info as I could gather on my map. Regarding Sim Place, the parcel data shows that a chunk of that area is actually Bomb Range property, which surprised me.

https://boydsmaps.com/#17/39.73520/-74.42370/pinesHD

If you zoom in to level 17 and follow that boundary around the Bomb Range, it is pretty strange. I'll bet that Guy has some better data on this than I do. But some of the examples you gave might be government property where access has been blocked. There's also an area around the FAA Tower.

https://boydsmaps.com/#16/39.7482/-74.3936/pinesHD

Throughout the map, zoom in to level 17 and the darker green shading is public openspace with the dotted lines representing parcel boundaries. I have a new dark-themed topo map that is going to debut at the end of this week when I launch the new LIDAR website. One of the goals of this map was to make public openspace boundaries a bit more clear. It's the same dataset as my Map of the Pines, but I have removed the forest shading and the white property lines show better against the dark background.

newTopo.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't know the true reasons why Sim Place road is closed; however, I can make some educated guesses. Sim Place is remote and I am sure over the years vandalism has occurred to the homes that were there. Previous owners had to have had issues with that. And many of you, including myself, never were able to visit the bridge over the Oswego that Bill Haines had to remove. It was unsafe and large vehicles could not get over it. Here is a photo of it that I did not take. It was taken by the individual(s) working for Bill Haines that removed it and I don't know his name. I wish I did.

Bridge_Sim_Place.JPG

If you remember years ago we discussed the lawsuit, or potential lawsuit, against Haines when individuals were diving off the bridge on Allen Road and got hurt. The freeholders gave the rights of the bridge to Bill Haines so he could close it off to protect himself and them.

Between the feds wanting to close that area off, lawsuits and other reasons, we have to take the long route.

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I bet there are some good pickerel in that reservoir. Just like the Forked River Mountains, the Tulpehocken wilds, the Great Swamp, the Pine Plains, and the land along the Oswego behind the bombing range, I like it that the pines have areas difficult to get into.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I have caught some nice pickerel on both sides of the small bridge on Oswego Lake Rd at the reservoir over the years. I like to fish where there is some structure, however you have a good chance to get snagged. But that's the price you have to pay.

Reactions: Toothy Critter

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
You need to ask Boyd for his fishing maps. They're still in beta but I find them immensely helpful, providing up to the minute status of weight, size, and species of fish in every Pine Barren's body of water. Beware, there are some false positives for the large puddles from the recent rains. Boyd has to be the preeminent cartographer around, even if he dosen't realize it's Sims not Sim Place Road.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bicycle tim: I've been exploring the Pines for 11 years. I normally fish old cranberry bogs. At times, I take a 5' rod that breaks down in two pieces (easy to carry) as I go exploring. I fish a couple spots, hide the rod, and then continue doing my exploring. Return, pick up the rod, and continue on. I've picked out pickerel in only a 15' square foot of fishable waters. I can do this only early in the season before the bogs get choked with fragrant water lilies. Also, when casting, you need to start your retrieve even before your lure hits the water, or your lure will pick up gunk from the bottom. I do fish some of the old bog reservoirs later in the season.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Haha Tim, didn't notice that. Will have to check, but I'm pretty sure that is a left-over from the old Census Bureau TIGER data that I used in my first map. That was notoriously inaccurate, and continues to haunt us. Have tried to purge what's left of it from my maps. Garmin's original US Topo map was based on that data, and so was Openstreetmap.

But who knows? There are certainly lots of inconsistencies when it comes to place names in the Pines! :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Sim Place sounds good to me. And any other way.

To me as well ;) But take your pick :)

SIM PLACE
Sim Place is located adjacent to the Ocean County line, in the northeast corner of Bass River Township. The place was named after an old Indian who came here first about 100 years ago. He lived in a cabin which was near the present location of a large red homestead. His name was Sim, sometimes spelled Simm or Simms. Today, some of the cranberry harvesting buildings remain; however, most of the approximately 20 houses with picket fences, lilacs and apple trees, and some 60 residents are gone. Residents of Sim Place were employed in the cranberry industry. Although some residents had garden plots, they did most of their grocery shopping from a truck that came weekly from West Creek Market. In 1850 cranberry harvesting began at Sim Place. Up Until 1899 the Satterwaite family ran the operation. Then it was sold to Penn Producing Company. At one time, this firm had more than 5000 acres in cranberries including tracts at Howardsville and Cedar Bridge. Dozens of local residents were employed by the cranberry business. Abandoned barracks were moved from Fort Dix to the town for migrant workers but were never used. Electricity came to Sim Place some time in the mid 30’s. Then eventually came the telephone service as well. The property is now owned by George Kudra, a Trenton furrier. The property comprises 3000 acres. Several groups have indicated a recurring interest in buying the tract in recent years because the area near the head of the Oswego River forms an important part of the Wading River watershed. This is an integral link in the Pine Barrens surface drainage system.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've been in Sim Place with Guy one time. It was a surreal feeling to be there due to the mystery of a place few outsiders get into. Felt privileged to see it. I wish I had the freedom to roam around in there for a few days.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am currently looking for an inscribed stone on the edges of one of the original property lines. It was slightly burned in the recent fire which should make it easier to find. However, it is not as remote as the other Sim Place stones Al and I found, so the chances of finding it are somewhat less.

stone.JPG

Reactions: bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember that one little stone out there we were looking all over for in the thick stuff at swamps edge and were about to give up when I noticed it sticking out from the edge of the sand road itself.I also remember being buzzed by a helicopter driving down the sand road crossing Bombing Range property.Thas no mans land out there.Never seen anyone out in that area the few times I"ve been out there.Might be the signs threatening your life for being in that area