Opossium

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Spend the morning exploring the southern side of the Tulpehocken Creek where the duck hunters in the past spent some time at.

IMG_1151a.jpg

IMG_1152a.jpg

Saw a nice snake in Friendship but it was so fast I could not even get my camera out. Jessica did see this before I ran it over.

IMG_1153a.jpg

On the way home right at Friendship I noticed this Opossium that seemed unhealthy. It kept falling down but it could walk straight at times. I moved it to one of the cellar holes by scooping it up with a piece of plastic.

IMG_1158a.jpg

IMG_1160a.jpg

Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: John and bobpbx

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Just a baby! How cute! It may have been....playing possum.

They carry a parasite that makes other animals ataxic like that, but I don't think it makes them sick the same way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
On the way home right at Friendship I noticed this Apossium that seemed unhealthy. It kept falling down but it could walk straight at times. I moved it to one of the cellar holes by scooping it up with a piece of plastic.

A young joey,may have slipped out of Mom's pouch. It's usually best to leave young where you find them, so Mom can.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The DEP sent this out today.

The public is urged to leave wild animals they find alone and not remove them from their natural habitat. The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife receives calls every year from well-meaning individuals who have picked up everything from baby birds to small mammals believing they have been abandoned. In most cases, these animals have not been abandoned, and are in fact being watched by a parent nearby. Unless an animal is obviously injured or in distress, it should be left alone. For more information, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2017/springwildlife17.htm on the Division's website.

Reactions: 46er

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Just a baby! How cute! It may have been....playing possum.

They carry a parasite that makes other animals ataxic like that, but I don't think it makes them sick the same way.

First time I ever heard an opossum referred to as cute. I guess when they are babies they can pull it off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Even this one was not what I would call nice :)