Oriental Rd

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I’ve always wondered about this and I’m quite certain someone here will know the answer. :) As far as I can tell from maps, it appears that Oriental Rd in Tabernacle should be open all the way to Carranza. But if you’ve been there, you’ll know it is blocked on both ends and marked as private property. What am I mis-understanding about what the maps are telling me? Thanks in advance!
F3D05987-2F6F-473A-8EC9-F7AD2BFA28E0.jpeg

8B3E6AE6-BF3C-4A44-A57E-00CD8A168136.jpeg

Reactions: TommyP

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may want to read one of my previous posts at the link below.

The state did purchase property along that road and as far as I know it is still a public road. However, it has been closed so long you can't even drive it much less walk some of it. Jessica and I did walk the remote section. I suspect the gun clubs in that area either got permission years ago to close it off, or the owner of the house that burned on Carranza was able to get the road closed as well. I really don't know the full story.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks @Teegate. Interesting. On both ends, the posted signs are actually on the gates (as opposed to the actual private property on either side of the "road") That is what had me second guessing if it was actually a public road or not. I know someone that lived in that house that burned down, I'll have to ask about if they know any history.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Oriental Deer club actually owns property other than where the building is. That gated road takes you futher down Oriental road and then curves to the right and continues much further to their other property at this location.

Then that road even goes further and ends at the Jersey-Maine Deer Club. You can get to it by walking from the stone hill at the curve on Carranza but I would suggest you go in the winter. The property is mostly surround by brier making it pretty remote and very hard to get to in almost all directions. It is also gated and that makes me believe that since two different owners have property on the road, it is a public road all the way to Jersey-Maine.

IMG_1774ab.jpg

I have been there twice and on one of my visits someone was there but I failed to walk into the place and talk with them. I had a pretty good handle on the property line so I was not too concerned... but was cautious.

IMG_1773a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Oriental Deer club actually owns property other than where the building is. That gated road takes you futher down Oriental road and then curves to the right and continues much further to their other property at this location.

Then that road even goes further and ends at the Jersey-Maine Deer Club. You can get to it by walking from the stone hill at the curve on Carranza but I would suggest you go in the winter. The property is mostly surround by brier making it pretty remote and very hard to get to in almost all directions. It is also gated and that makes me believe that since two different owners have property on the road, it is a public road all the way to Jersey-Maine.

View attachment 18168

I have been there twice and on one of my visits someone was there but I failed to walk into the place and talk with them. I had a pretty good handle on the property line so I was not too concerned... but was cautious.

View attachment 18169
I wonder what this is to the NE. Look like they made it with a giant compass.
1663369872564.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is private or I would have been there. We were right by it when walking Oriental Road. It appears it is owned by a husband and wife but they had a deed made up to divide the ownership rights in half, with each owning half of it. It is also interesting that the deed says the rails I found years ago on their property line and Wharton are trolley rails.

Iron Raila.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Was wondering the same thing! But it's weird, that does not show on the current HERE or Mapbox imagery, which is usually pretty recent. There's a circular clearing but no "compass".

https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.803418/-74.685307/hereHybrid/0.00/0.00

https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.803418/-74.685307/mbxhybrid/0.00/0.00

Looks like it might be more like that in 2017 and 2019, but those are lower-resolution imagery, so it's hard to tell.
Very odd to have a spot so round out there.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The clearing has been there awhile. I'm thinking the "compass" was created by dirt bikes or some other kind of ORV's driving in a circle.