ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Greg OBrien

Scout
Mar 22, 2011
So, it is at least within the realm of possibility that it being open has something to do with an exchange I had with Rob. (When he was still responding to me. ;-) ) before the map was released, I asked him about the plans for this road specifically, explaining that that it provided access for a lesser know, short kayak route between Hampton Furnace and Hampton Station. My kids love that bridge and that little route so I asked very nicely that it not be closed.

Hahaha... sounds like Rob's scientific process at work.

I wish everyone got a public hearing like that :(

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
I've written, my wife has written & I've been asking everyone I've talked to to write letters too. Dont think that is enough though, but still trying to figure out what to can be done next. Feel like a counter message that says responsible use of the forest (ie conservation) is a good thing, needs to get out vs the PPA's position, but that won't change forest service policy. It's the politicians, etc. that need to get the message. (But I'd be willing to hand out flyers too)

I truly believe that a large majority, forest user or not, would favor the conservation message and would not agree with locking out responsible users. Need to show the politicians and higher ups in the forest service that is what the public truly wants. However, we are going to need cooperation between groups that may not have always been comfortable with one another - can the hunters, enduro riders, horse people, hikers kayakers, jeepers, etc. work together to do this?

I know we stand a chance if we work together, and will absolutely fail if we do not.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I know it has been a little quite, but the needle is moving, ever so slightly. I mentioned in an earlier comment that I got back more of a response from my Senator than just the stand form letter. They told me that the DEP are talking internally and are going to respond to the Senator's about how to address our concerns. Dave's Facebook group is up to 2600 people in 48 hours and we have continued to shout the message of contacting your legislature. I got into the private FB groups for Shamong, Tabernacle and Medford and posted the legislator message and got almost exclusively positive remarks. People showed up in droves on the PPA's Facebook page, respectfully taking issue with the action and their rating went from around 5 stars to 3.5 stars in about 2 days. That is a pretty big deal for them. The Facebook page for Pinelands Adventures has been decimated. They not have a 1. something star rating. Both the PPA and Pinelands Adventures folks had started deleting comments and PM'ing people who made negative remarks. This means something to them. The DEP has closed ranks. I have ceased to get any responses back from any of the people I was contacting. (and i was contacting several) We just need to keep it up. The DEP and PPA do not want this negative press. The DEP does not want to be justifying itself against the little guy on TV like it had to do yesterday. Keep it up!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
So, it is at least within the realm of possibility that it being open has something to do with an exchange I had with Rob. (When he was still responding to me. ;-) ) before the map was released, I asked him about the plans for this road specifically, explaining that that it provided access for a lesser know, short kayak route between Hampton Furnace and Hampton Station. My kids love that bridge and that little route so I asked very nicely that it not be closed.
We like to paddle the skit from Carranza Road to the bridge over the Skit at HF, but that is to be closed. Many go shorter and get out at the breached causeway. It is a very popular run.

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
In addition to writing your state legislators, I also suggest that you attend the next meeting of your local town council or committee. Ask your local government officials to pass a resolution opposing the road closure plan being implemented by the Wharton SF superintendent, and to forward copies of the resolution to your state legislators and the governor's office.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know it has been a little quite, but the needle is moving, ever so slightly. I mentioned in an earlier comment that I got back more of a response from my Senator than just the stand form letter. They told me that the DEP are talking internally and are going to respond to the Senator's about how to address our concerns. Dave's Facebook group is up to 2600 people in 48 hours and we have continued to shout the message of contacting your legislature. I got into the private FB groups for Shamong, Tabernacle and Medford and posted the legislator message and got almost exclusively positive remarks. People showed up in droves on the PPA's Facebook page, respectfully taking issue with the action and their rating went from around 5 stars to 3.5 stars in about 2 days. That is a pretty big deal for them. The Facebook page for Pinelands Adventures has been decimated. They not have a 1. something star rating. Both the PPA and Pinelands Adventures folks had started deleting comments and PM'ing people who made negative remarks. This means something to them. The DEP has closed ranks. I have ceased to get any responses back from any of the people I was contacting. (and i was contacting several) We just need to keep it up. The DEP and PPA do not want this negative press. The DEP does not want to be justifying itself against the little guy on TV like it had to do yesterday. Keep it up!

You and everyone else here and there on Dave's site deserve much of the credit for all of this. Well done!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We like to paddle the skit from Carranza Road to the bridge over the Skit at HF, but that is to be closed. Many go shorter and get out at the breached causeway. It is a very popular run.

How disgraceful is that where you can no longer do a run because your ending point does not have vehicle access.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In addition to writing your state legislators, I also suggest that you attend the next meeting of your local town council or committee. Ask your local government officials to pass a resolution opposing the road closure plan being implemented by the Wharton SF superintendent, and to forward copies of the resolution to your state legislators and the governor's office.

Interesting thought. I would have never known that could be done. Have you ever been on a town council?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
How disgraceful is that where you can no longer do a run because your ending point does not have vehicle access.

A popular stop for me was always Locks bridge. I could paddle upstream one way and back down another and wind up at the same spot. Was always a nice way to kill a few hours and didn't need another truck to pick up. Walking it in now doesn't make it doable anymore.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You and everyone else here and there on Dave's site deserve much of the credit for all of this. Well done!

I must have missed this. Where is Dave's site?

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
Interesting thought. I would have never known that could be done. Have you ever been on a town council?
Yes, resolutions such as these are commonly used in situations where an issue affects several municipalities, the goal being of course to have as many municipal governments as possible express opposition to the closures on behalf of their residents. I'll work on drafting a sample resolution.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry I am not there but I am not into Facebook. I don't want people I knew 40 years ago contacting me. There are plenty of friends from this site who I have faith in that are there. Ben I am sure is there... and with Gabe and Ed now there that is good enough for me.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Ben I will be posting that on my facebook tomorrow morning to get maxium exposure and will be emailing it out to a mailing list. I have already signed it. Thanks for putting that together.