ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
First they came for the quads, but I did not speak out for I had no quad.
Then they came for the dirt bikes, but I did not speak out for I had no dirt bike.
Then they came for the monster trucks, but I did not speak out for I did not drive a monster truck.
Then they came for my street legal stock Jeep -- and there was no one left to speak out for me.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yes, it appears access to many of the rivers we kayak and canoe are now blocked. Especially the less traveled tributaries. Most of the south side of the mullica is blocked off.

Have they locked out Lock's ? :confused:

This is bullsh&t. Personally, I am banking on the continued lack of sufficient State Parks and Forestry personnel.

Imagine if these tree hugging , khaki wearing, LL Bean/REI poster children volunteers were alive when the pines were exploited for their iron resources and those people actually witnessed the huge forest clear cuts it took to provide the wood to burn to support the various industries. Let's not even consider the thousands of acres of virgin white cedar that were clear cut in the last few hundred years.
What ? A water-polluting paper mill which required thousands of acres of pulpwood to function and was supported by people living in a village named Harrisville lined with homes utilizing cesspools was located in the Pines ? That can't be true.

The point I wish to make (ignore the incoherent ramblings above) is that the Pines have a unique and remarkable ability of quickly covering the tracks of all who have trodden there. Over time, all of the scars of the industrial past have faded into oblivion with no long term harm to the environment. A few sh&theads on quads or driving lifted trucks will not result in the end of the Pinelands ecosystem. The damage that those people inflict has a large visual impact now but over time, those damaged areas will be as hard to find as fly shit in pepper. (One of my late mother's favorite lines)

See you in the big woods !

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Haven't signs been tried in the past with less than desired results? I can't imagine that signs will remain up for very long.

Signs won't work to keep the people out who break the law and trash the environment. The signs will only keep people like us on this site - people who follow the rules - out of the Pines. Nothing gets solved, nothing changes, but the powers that be get to pat themselves on the back for a job "well done."

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Unconscionable.
I took the road that runs along the southwestern bank of the mullica (railroad I think they call it on the topo) and every intersecting road was marked with a sign saying no vehicles. I went about as far as the Lock's bridge turn off. I suspect it to be consistant all the way to Constable bridge.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I sent an email to both the DEP and the PPA. The DEP asking to the reasoning and how they consulted the public and the PPA on their position on the matter. We'll see what response I get.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Signs won't work to keep the people out who break the law and trash the environment. The signs will only keep people like us on this site - people who follow the rules - out of the Pines. Nothing gets solved, nothing changes, but the powers that be get to pat themselves on the back for a job "well done."

But they will generate more revenue from fines, the DEP's main objective lately.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Nature has a funny way of taking back...
Ashes to Ashes so to speak.
We'll never hope to fully live the lyrics ;
'They took all the trees and put them in a museum, and they charged the people a dollar and half to see 'em".
(That would be too easy... look at all those costs of fees and permits, Scott can probably name a pretty hefty figure)
Buck and a half would be a pay cut.

My original point...
Yeah it sucks and yeah maybe folks could have got in front of it about Quads or Monster trucks or even, Horses over 30 pounds, Etc. Etc.

It didn't go down. People still have a voice. I LOVE sharing my passion with my young. I love these woods and waters. I love what's in 'em.

In the end I would like to think, even if it is wishful, that long after I'm gone... they will write another chapter where Nature takes back.
Happened before and before, just that one thing bothers me... yes now we have pavement. Lots and Lots of pavement and pavers.

It would be nice to leave a few respectable tire prints in the sand rather than skid marks at a stop sign.
Enjoy what you can while you can, cherish it.
At the same time keep abreast and educated of the goings on of the agencies as best as you can so you can Intelligently, be that voice.
This is just me but don 't keep tabs just on what you can do or where you can go <--
Keep tabs on the folks trying to make it happen.

Got some darn smart people on this site...
Those that keep in the know at least can pass along to others so they have a way of not making us look like renegades.
Might find yourself allowed to go a place or two that might be a "NoNo" zone.

That's how it ended up for us Quad folks. Bad reputations and bad attitudes loses every time.
Best luck I ever had was giving utmost respect and making friendly like with John Law out there.
Never once got fined, locked up, or confiscated. Sternly instructed to make my way home a couple times but in most cases just told to go on but take it easy . Maybe I was just lucky.

Myself... just keeping an eye. If a chance to be a supporter comes, I don't want to look like I'm just Bitching at City Hall.
Thank you for those on the site showing their interests and keeping us apprised.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I can think of many areas that are being abused much worse then the areas blocked off. One of the reasons my family and I loved locks bridge area for picnics was how quiet it was. We could sit there and hear the dirt bikes go up and down Quaker bridge rd on the other side. We were just there last week. My 5 year old son cried when we were too busy to head out there this past weekend. I feel sick to my stomach right now knowing how this is going to affect him.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I may be way off base but I doubt many here (the rest of us) would volunteer to close roads that are used by law abiding citizens for legal activities.

You are absolutely right. I would never volunteer to help close down any part of the woods.
I would gladly volunteer to assist with the placement of cameras or better yet, spike strips, in the more problematic areas.
Cameras are now being used effectively to combat the dumping problems and there is no reason why they cannot be employed to bring enforcement and prosecution to the repeatedly damaged areas.

Signs on a tree aren't going to save the Pines.

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, to be fair, we know where it was started and pushed from. It was pushed from the people going totally off-road in a wild, care-free manner in large packs as if the place is an amusement park filled with mud holes (all the while slinging empty Bush lite beer cans out the window).

I see your point, but does every road that is now closed lead to a spot where there's mud holes and ORV damage?