ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Jack Splash

Feb 12, 2009
Hello: This is the first time I am posting here about this issue, but I have been following it for some time now.
FYI, I am an enduro club official and also have organized a motorcycle adventure ride, for the last 10 years, called the Pine Barrens 500, a mostly off pavement tour of the state parks and wildlife management areas. I was also an original member of the NJ Trail Lovers Assoc.

These closures affect my sport and I have been working with some of the groups fighting the trail closings and now the roads in the State Forest.

The enduro guys were the first group affected by these closings and we fought back with everything that is being said and done now, by the new groups affected, to no avail, for the last 5 or so years.

I have expressed my concern to the enduro groups, that we need legal representation, and a lobbyist to work on the politicians.
But cost concerns have made them decide against it.

I feel we have been, and the new groups are dealing with this the same way as
"going to court without a lawyer."

The DEP, the PPA and the Park and Forest directors are all paid employees, they go to work and get paid to do what they are doing.
On the other hand, we have volunteers. working in their spare time, but not getting anywhere.
Plus they are well funded by wealthy conservationists.

I feel we need money to fight this. I think I have an idea that will help.

A Fund Raiser, a party, dinner, concert or something to get us all together and raise money.
The Kerri Brooke Caterers in Hammonton, can hold appx 1000 people, I spoke to the owner today and he is on board.
I am also a former caterer and rock club manager, I could organize the venue and entertainment.

The Pine Barrens 500 has a dinner this Nov 14th, maybe we could use that date and the event to kick it off.

What do you think?

Regards
Jack

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

I have expressed my concern to the enduro groups, that we need legal representation, and a lobbyist to work on the politicians.
But cost concerns have made them decide against it.

I feel we have been, and the new groups are dealing with this the same way as
"going to court without a lawyer."

The DEP, the PPA and the Park and Forest directors are all paid employees, they go to work and get paid to do what they are doing.
On the other hand, we have volunteers. working in their spare time, but not getting anywhere.
Plus they are well funded by wealthy conservationists.

I feel we need money to fight this. I think I have an idea that will help.

A Fund Raiser, a party, dinner, concert or something to get us all together and raise money.
The Kerri Brooke Caterers in Hammonton, can hold appx 1000 people, I spoke to the owner today and he is on board.
I am also a former caterer and rock club manager, I could organize the venue and entertainment.

The Pine Barrens 500 has a dinner this Nov 14th, maybe we could use that date and the event to kick it off.

What do you think?

Regards
Jack

I mentioned in an earlier post there are attorney's that do work pro bono, just a matter of finding one. All that is needed is a temporary injunction from a fair minded court ending the MAP implementation until a fair minded study is done to show how inappropriate/appropriate it is. Perhaps the NJOA might be interested.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have not been to the infamous road yet and want to take a walk with Jessica, check out her video.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you have not been to the infamous road yet and want to take a walk with Jessica, check out her video.

That should make it soooo much easier for the FFS to get to a fire or EMS to a senior who suffered a heart attack climbing over all those PPA made obstructions. Should be fairly easy to clean up though :clint: :smug:

From what I hear thru the underground there are quite a few parties planned for this weekend. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For the most part. The back is blocked off also BTW. I will post my tracks tonight.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
spung.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will be fine. If the vehicles are kept out the place will return to the way it was before.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One person raised their hand when a man asked who favored the MAP plan. There were about 100 people there, half residents. 18 people spoke against it and 1.5 for it.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Folks,
Jessica, Guy and myself rode back to Lock's Bridge this morning. We went in on the west side of the Mullica, down Railroad Ave . When we reach Lock's Bridge Road we found it closed, as reported. We parked on Railroad Ave and walked down Lock's Bridge Road. The entire length of the road I could not find any reason why this road should be close. No sign that an ORV was ever there and the place was clean, not even an old bottle or can anywhere. In fact there are good reasons why it should be open. As you can see from Guy's panorama photo on the "Sunrise on Carranza Road" thread it's one of the more beautiful spots on the Mullica, it's one of the oldest historic sites in the area and the location of the first and maybe the only "Lock" ever built on the Mullica, and from the many post on this forum it's a popular place for folks to began a lawn chair, the dog, and just relax for an afternoon. I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone is making a list of closed roads that should be re-opened Lock's Bridge Road should be high on their list.

Last edited: