Our view: Promising new DEP steps on pinelands use, protection

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The state could care less about the damage occurring or enforcing the laws on the books that would put an end to any problems. This is about power and control.

• Love
Reactions: manumuskin

Mikeofthewoods

Oct 29, 2020
Indian Cabin Road
I’d like to see the details about the program. Especially regarding how the funds will be used. Will the money go to enforcement and protection, or just go into the general fund to get spent outside the pines?

I can’t really see a permit system helping stop the destruction of sensitive areas, unless it directly funds enforcment and protection of the se site areas. I’d be happy to spend money for that. That being said, I feel like the state already has money to enforce these areas.

the permit system will never stop someone from driving from out of state with the intention of mudding, but maybe the permit will help pay for better enforcement that will catch these people. I’m not holding out hope…

Last edited:

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
So we get the MAP and they are going to charge us to use it? Well isn't that great. How about they do their job to crack down on illegal riding I will give them a hint. Go to Bryant road in Greenwood on a topo map on a weekend and just sit there. You can write tickets and confiscate illegal unregistered vehicles all day.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
This article appears to be an opinion piece written by someone getting getting their facts from another article that was based on incomplete statements. Most news articles nowadays are skewed to present a subject more in favor of a side that the author supports. A urine colored press.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This article appears to be an opinion piece written by someone getting getting their facts from another article that was based on incomplete statements. Most news articles nowadays are skewed to present a subject more in favor of a side that the author supports. A urine colored press.
Who wrote the article? I don't even see where the author is named.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
The permit crap is complete B.S. until the park police have off road capable vehicles and not soccer mom trucks nothing is going to change and the really screwed up part is the forest service has these vehicles (Humvees and Jeeps) that they are giving a Humvee to to a Cumberland county fire department for free but the state park police cant have them cause it's too much to outfit but there is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of radios and lights removed from retired troopers cars just sitting on pallets in a state warehouse collecting dust just 2 Humvees would be enough and allow the park police get to where these asshats go! The jeep guys know the park police cant go after them cause they're not capable of doing so whith the equipment they currently have and the jeepers are taking full advantage of it well the ignorant ones. There's a few clubs who dont go to rip s@!t up all the time and are responsible and respectfull to the roads

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe in another article the DEP said they had reached out to stakeholders.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think the people there then are mostly gone so we have a new generation in charge.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The last thing I remember reading is that there would be discussions this April. I wouldn't be surprised if it were later because of the major overhaul happening at DEP.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The last thing I remember reading is that there would be discussions this April. I wouldn't be surprised if it were later because of the major overhaul happening at DEP.

This is the concern we all should have. A plan is in place, good or bad, and then the names change at the DEP and a new plan comes into view. It could be better or it could be worse. That is why no plan is the best way to go. Just do what is right and go after those causing the problem. Seems simple to me.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Open Trails last met with the DEP in April of 2021. We were told at that time that things like "a map" (not the MAP, meaning one that closes roads) and the permit were under consideration, but the stakeholders would be consulted before the DEP moved forward. Since then, the people we worked with have apparently moved on in the DEP and we have heard nothing since. I inquired as to the status of the outreach plans on Feb 13th and again today and have yet to receive a response from the successors at the DEP.