Paper Wasps

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
I live in the Leektown area, and for the past two years have seen a scarcity of paper wasps (polistes). We see a few queens in the spring and then no more. I have three open eaved sheds, and porches, that have to be scoured for nest removal (usually two or three per shed), but the past two years, no nests. The same is true for flowers here, lot's of solitary wasps and bumble bees visiting, but no wasps..any one else noticing this? Or have any idea as to why they have disappeared?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Now that you mention it, I see a decrease too. I have a railing on my wood deck that has some hidden areas where they would build nests, and I'd have to spray because people lean on the railing, and children poke around in there. But, I have not seen them in awhile.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No change here; just removed a nest behind the window shutter slats yesterday, one of their favorite spots.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am a pain sissy and I have been stung by paper wasps.I barely felt them.I'd say their the least painful of any bee/wasp I"ve been stung by.The worst I"d have to say would be German Yellowjackets or the Bumblebee.Never got hit yet by Mud Daubers or Bald Faced Hornets.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I don't have the ability to differentiate between them and yellow jackets in the field, but now that I think about it I haven't seen as many yellow jacket-type wasps as usual (if you don't mind the generalization).

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I took out a bald faced nest a few years ago. I had 3 cans of hornet spray. I put a can of hornet spray in each hand and stood about 10' away and went until both cans were empty. The third can was used for stragglers later that day. The nest was huge and was built in only two weeks under the window shield of our camper.
I'll find pictures later.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I took out a bald faced nest a few years ago. I had 3 cans of hornet spray. I put a can of hornet spray in each hand and stood about 10' away and went until both cans were empty. The third can was used for stragglers later that day. The nest was huge and was built in only two weeks under the window shield of our camper.
I'll find pictures later.

That was a bold thing to do. I'll call you if I get one in my yard.

Reactions: NJChileHead

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Nice, he was having fun.Good topic for conversation. What method would "you" use? I have a couple ideas but I'm leaning toward a cool night and a heavy contractors plastic bag. Of course it all depends on accessibility, how and where the nest is attached.
When we were kids we dared each other to take a baseball bat and knock the nest for a homerun. The nest was built on a low eave of a shed. Sure enough Bob took the challenge, the nest broke in half and went flying. Being kids we were able to run like hell and we all got away unharmed. The wasps decided to move on after that.

T

Toothy Critter

I was under the impression that one was wise to destroy a nest at night. During the day half the nest is out and they will begin to rebuild as soon as they return and find the carnage. I thought that all were in the nest at night, Dunno

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What method would "you" use? I have a couple ideas but I'm leaning toward a cool night and a heavy contractors plastic bag.

I like that idea too. But maybe a heavier duty type of bag (burlap?). The guys who tried that bag method in the post above should have used a real clipper/snipper on the branch, not a hedge trimmer.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here's the one I took out with the two-fisted spray can method.It was the bedroom window of the camper. It literally came out of nowhere.
My wife videoed the action and I have to find that.

Attachments

• hornets.JPG
    hornets.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My son gave me his RAM 2500 that hadn't been used in about a year. I soon discovered the bed rails had become home to those little buggers or their relatives. They are very territorial. Took a long time to evict them, almost impossible to get to some spots. The ground under the bed was littered with hundreds of them when it was all over with. As far as I know the nests are still there.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
30 years and 40 pounds ago when I still did tree work a buddy was making his way up the tree to the tie-in point when the little SOBs came pouring out of a tree cavity. He did his best to fend them off while holding on but ended up falling about ten feet and broke a few ribs landing on a lower branch. The good part was he didn't fall the rest of the twenty or so feet down. After that we started making sure we didn't cut corners, and were tied in the whole climb. You may know your abilities but never know who's up there with you!