Parking for Batona Hike

T

Toothy Critter

Hi all, new to the site but not the Pinelands. Am 65 yrs. old and have probably spent 40 of them in the Pines. Used to race endures back in the 70's and have been fishing every spit of water in the pines for my favorite... the chain pickerel. Now I'm into hiking the pines and am planning a spring walk thru on the Batona. Question is this... will be alone, so was wondering, do it north to south, or south to north? Feel safe leaving my car at Bass River St Pk, but am not too keen on leaving it at the trailhead at Ong's Hat. Any suggestions? And by the way...PRIMO site !!

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Because of the low sun, south to north would be my preference now. In the spring you could do it either way. I prefer north to south, don't know why.

Reactions: Teegate
T

Toothy Critter

south to north for parking. just do a yo-yo and hike back to car :)

100 miles? piece o cake.:eek: But is parking and leaving a car for 5 days ok at Ongs Hat? I would prefer to have the sun at my back, but I would trust leaving my car at Bass River more than at Ongs Hay lot which is nothing but an unguarded gravel space

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
100 miles? piece o cake.:eek: But is parking and leaving a car for 5 days ok at Ongs Hat? I would prefer to have the sun at my back, but I would trust leaving my car at Bass River more than at Ongs Hay lot which is nothing but an unguarded gravel space
You could park at Bass River and have somebody suttle you to Ong's Hat. I've hiked both ways and never considered the sun an issue. Besides, it will probably rain the whole time ;)

T

Toothy Critter

You could park at Bass River and have somebody suttle you to Ong's Hat. I've hiked both ways and never considered the sun an issue. Besides, it will probably rain the whole time ;)

I guess I am doing a poor job of explaining myself. I know about shuttle and sun. My main concern is where to leave my car for 5 days. The specific question I need answered is... Would it be safe to leave my car at ONG's HAT for 5 days? Sorry for the rambling :confused:

T

Toothy Critter

Thanks, duh...it finally sank into my tired old brain.. I need to take a walk :)