pasadena monday

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
after being captivated by reading Beck's account of Pasadena, i have decided to spend my memorial day off trying to find it. i know that some of you have been there before. does anybody have any pointers to offer as to where i can find the terra cotta factory ruins? also, any other neat info is much appreciated please.

thanks,
-Ben

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just be on the lookout for paint ball users there. They use the place for war games. It is patrolled regularly to stop them.

Here is a little hint on it's location. If you look over Ben's photo's he gives a clue as to where it is. Here is the photo with the clue.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/albums/album45/aaa.sized.jpg

Go to Ben's galley for the caption that is written for that photo which will help you even more.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...lery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

And lastly, have you read the newest article by Scott Wieczorek on the main page of this site? It talks about how Beck's info is incorrect which Paul W. Schopp the historian informed us about last year. The photo's and article on Pasadena in Beck's book are actually the Brooksbrae Brick Company.

Here is the article on the from page.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=28&page=1

Happy searching.

Guy

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
i did notice the clues in those photo captions but i still have no clue where "pasadena road" is... what is the route number or the nearest highway?

so was there ever a "Pasadena Terra Cotta Factory"? or was this simply a wrong name given to the brooksbare brick company?

has anyone seen anything pertaining to the "underground kilns" from Beck's photo's? lastly, in Beck's article it mentions a legend about a mysterious pond that people used to visit to relax, is there any fact to this or is it merely legend?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There was never a "Pasadena Terra Cotta Company." There was the Townshend Clay company nearby, but nobody on this site knows where it is, except that it's on private property.

Pasadena Road is in Manchester Township. Go to Mapquest and grab a map. Just use "Manchester" as the town.

The underground "kilns" are small tunnels that run under the Brooksbrae site. I have never been in them, but I have seen photos of them. They're barely wide enough to wiggle through on your stomach.

Lastly, the "pond" is most likely the lakes at Old Half Way.

Beck, as usual, was WAY incorrect in his writing on Pasadena.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess it is best to find it with as little help as possible. But at topozone.com just type in Woodmansie and look for the word Pasadena. Then look for the clues in Ben's photo.

Guy

J

JeffD

Pasadena Road is a right turn off of route 539, just a mile or two after 539 crosses route 70. It's a little confusing because, although there is a sign shortly before Pasadena Road that says "Pasadena Road", there is also a sign whose road name begins with an "M". Mahone or something or other. From Route 72, just before the railroad overpass, Savoy Road comes in. It is a left turn if you are coming from the north, traveling south. Follow it for a few miles and it crosses the tracks and becomes Pasadena Road. Both Savoy and Pasadena Roads are paved, but will take you to sand roads. There are three that come in just across from the railroad crossing that enter the Pasadena Wildlife Management Area. The futhest on the left, if you cross the tracks, is the one that goes towards Old Half Way.

In addition to the two Hidden Lakes at Old Halfway, there is a lake on the other side of the railroad tracks from Savoy Road which runs roughly between where Savoy Road crosses the tracks and the Sand/Gravel mine (or whatever) as you go towards route 72.

Jeff

bnsilly

Scout
Apr 3, 2003
New Jersey
Directions from Rt70.....(west go left, east go right) onto Mt Misery Rd. Theres a sign on 70 for a church camp. Thats Mt Misery rd. Follow it straight back until it ends (at the tracks). take a left, about a half mile or so down on the right side of the road there will be 5 trees that are painted with white. Stop there. Now look across the street there will be two more trees painted white and a path. Follow the path over the tracks and walk back a few hundred yards. here ya have it.

While you're at it on your way down Mt Misery rd you can stop at the first major intersect. There is a big gate on the left. If you turn right there and stop just a little ways in you will find the remains of what I believe to be an old home (Becks book refers to it), there is a small well like hole just off the road but you have to get out to see it. Get back on Mt Misery and you'll come to the boy scout camp, stop again and across from the camp there are a few more old foundation remains. Just up the road abit will be the tracks for that left to Pasadena.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No.. I am going out around 1PM with my brother to help him pick out a computer. He and my mom are going online... I know enough about the dark side to help him out, he just has to put up the money.

To keep this post on subject here is another photo with your's truly in it from Pasadena taken before you were born Ben. Don't worry about weight, worry about age. Trust me.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/me.JPG

Guy

J

JeffD

Maybe you could take a canoe through any of the sand roads. Think of it as the Venice of New Jersey. :wink: :crazy: :bang:

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
well, despite the rain, i made the trip to pasadena today. i arrived there by following rt539 to lincoln blvd finally to pasdena rd. i was very impressed with this place however i was sad to see that much of it has begun to fall to ruin. i am really curious to know what that huge open field is behind the ruins? also, what railroad is that and where does it go?

i also tried travelling mt. misery rd to see the sites of those well holes and foundations. however, i had to turn around after driving the road for a mile and realizing that my car would probably get stuck if i went any further... i noticed that one particularly creepy looking house on this road had the shades in the windows down and a huge camera mounted on a tree facing the front door! i think it would be interesting to interview some of these people that live so far into the woods...

-Ben

J

JeffD

It was nice to see your photo of the switch in that area come up on the random image, Guy. And when I walk on those abandoned tracks I'll imagine seeing the railroad cars that are in the above photo.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think the open field is for deer to feed in.

Regarding the houses on Mount Misery Rd., yes they are creepy. I never noticed a camera outside them - it would surprise me if it was actually hooked up, though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

While on the hike there are two cement mile markers we can look for that I haven't recorded yet. I was thinking about going to the bridge the weekend before and stashing my drinks in the stream so that when we arrive they will be nice and cold. Yeaaaa...

Guy

J

JeffD

Sounds good, Guy. Here's some clues where we might find mile markers. On the first link you'll find Atsion over towards the right of the railroad diagram. The second link continues past the Basto River RR Bridge. I believe the names of streams and other things are old, and maybe a key to some history, or some history may be a key to what is what and where. Maybe you could use your GPU to find these spots, Guy. BTW, I recently heard some General or somebody on Fox News talk about how the millitary used the GPU to pinpoint targets in Iraq.

Here's the JCRR links:

http://raildata.railfan.net/cnj/cnj_pg30.html

http://raildata.railfan.net/cnj/cnj_pg33.html