Pasadena - Terra Cotta Factory or Brickyards?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I highly suggest that anyone who has never been there, try to visit the Atlantic Brick Mfg Company soon. I live all of 15 mins away from here and I visit this site every couple weeks or so. Every time I go there, there is evidence of a recent paintball game present. Every time I visit and walk around, I notice something else destroyed such as a crumbling wall or new graffitti. The property is for sale and I have heard of people in the adjacent neighborhood complaining of an overabundance of people on the property which may pressure the owners of the property to demolish it. Also, nearby across rt 40 is new construction which may mean that a developer has moved into this area. So, visit this place now before it is too late...

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
The two documents that I have at the Library are (1) my thesis, and (2) an informational brochure I developed for the site. The one mentioned here is actually the brochure, my thesis is titled: Of Myth and Brick: Examining the Legendary Pasadena Terra Cotta Factory. Both have similar information, but the thesis is more detailed. I also have some articles written on Union Clay, and soon Red Oak Grove, which will be available in the Ocean County Historical Society Scroll. As far as copies of my thesis go, I would be happy to share them but may need to defray the photocopying costs.

Also, I am involved with ASNJ online, and have had a few small articles published with them. I am working on a larger article, again concerning the drying technology at Brooksbrae, that need some finishing touches. In addition, I am still in the consuming process of developing a National Register application for the site. It is marginally protected within the park, but should receive the recognition it deserves.
Scott W.

B

bach2yoga

stizkidz said:
I highly suggest that anyone who has never been there, try to visit the Atlantic Brick Mfg Company soon. I live all of 15 mins away from here and I visit this site every couple weeks or so. Every time I go there, there is evidence of a recent paintball game present. Every time I visit and walk around, I notice something else destroyed such as a crumbling wall or new graffitti. The property is for sale and I have heard of people in the adjacent neighborhood complaining of an overabundance of people on the property which may pressure the owners of the property to demolish it. Also, nearby across rt 40 is new construction which may mean that a developer has moved into this area. So, visit this place now before it is too late...

Careful which way you go in now...they recently put up no trespassing signs.
Renee

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
This is news to me. I guess they finally realized that the property was being trashed. I happen to know that the property is slated to appear in the next issue of Weird NJ too. Even more reason to explore now before there is nothing left.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I would love to see the thesis as well. My Father and I have spent some time trying to figure out how the terra-cotta site used to work. We also concluded that the tunnels were part of a forced-air system that used pre-heated air. If you look at what's left of the roof on top of the ovens (look soon too!) you can see that they are lined with terr-cotta air ducting that we think was utilized to conduct air over the ovens before it was introduced to the kiln(s) or furnace(s) so that it was preheated before it was used in the combustion process. It wa then sent through the tunnels and into the ovens which contained the product (bricks or piping). My Father noticed the ducts on the oven roofs. He's an engineer and even though he has had little to no experience with this type of site, he noticed it right off the bat. We decided that the furnace source was probably (or still is) located tot he north of the ovens and that hot air was directed to the ovens through the northern tunnel entrance which steers off in that direction. We also noticed that the northern and southern tunnels (which have openings on the southeastern and northeastern sides of the ovens) are not connected to one another beneath the ovens. This design must have been developed so that the incoming air would have to travel the length of the ovens before exiting on the southern tunnel. The ovens MAY have been long instead of beehive-shaped due to the fact that they had to contain long lenghths of piping runs.

We believe the stack was probably located outside the southern tunnel opening or in the rear of the ovens. The only reason we proposed the rear is due to the peculiar horizontal shaft that extends across the northern portion of the oven roof. In Beck's book, this shaft is seen in better form but is still not connected on either side to any other structure. A visual inspection of this item did not reveal any bottom openings that would go into the ovens, so it MAY have been usd to direct smoke to a stack behind the ovens. We have been more interested in this shaft than any other at the point we were are at in out thinking. I would love to see what this gentlemen's thesis has revealed to see if we were on the right track or not. I also would like to ask anyone out there who has explored the tunnels to try to describe the layout of the tunnels and any openings or other peculiararities they may have seen within them. I have not braved them beyond the immediate openings. This may help more with our findings. Yes, the last time I was there it looked like a ghetto due to tha paint ball activities. I think they probably climb all over them too.

The new information about the nearby brick works/yards is fascinating. I had read that one (1) was on private property nearby. If someone gains access or goes to the other sites described, I would realy love to accompany them on a site visit if they would be obliging.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Yeah, and Pasadena was recently in Weird NJ too. It is apparent too....and it pisses me off. The last time I was there, there were what I believed to be WNJ travellers. That's why I voted NO in the Directions Poll. Those WNJ guys definately read this site and will surely be exploiting it more and more as other storieson their end wane. God help us! All they need to hear are KKK and the like and it becomes even more ready. I need to write them. My friend told me that they spray-painted "666" and other satanic logos on the "Saughterhouse" building when they went there to take pictures for the story. This is THE writers and not the fans! He swears there was no graffitti on the bldg before they came.

B

bigbadhoss

I found a site near the Terra Cotta, I will be going up there in a few weeks to get pictures. I will post them if I figure out how to do it. It's been a few years since I been back there, I hope its still in one piece. I agree with your hypothesis on the tunnels.

B

bach2yoga

stizkidz said:
This is news to me. I guess they finally realized that the property was being trashed. I happen to know that the property is slated to appear in the next issue of Weird NJ too. Even more reason to explore now before there is nothing left.

Oh no....there goes one of my favorite spots.

The sign is on a post on route 40.

Renee

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Jokerman,
You are almost correct in your interpretation of the factory. However, the airflow is reversed from your description. Hot air from the kilns fed the tunnels from underneath, then vapor would be exhausted through a central stack that also served to vent the boiler. I have patent and manufacturer schematics of similar systems. Also, the Pasadena article in Weird NJ was one that I submitted. It was a fascinating story regarding some immigrants, caretakers, and nosy locals.
Scott W.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Also, the Pasadena article in Weird NJ was one that I submitted.

In all respect... If you love the Pasadena ruins as much as you claim to, then why would you submit it to Weird NJ magazine????

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
stizkidz said:
Also, the Pasadena article in Weird NJ was one that I submitted.

In all respect... If you love the Pasadena ruins as much as you claim to, then why would you submit it to Weird NJ magazine????
In response, I first must ask if anyone took the time to read my article. Next, I am unclear about what damage writing a factual, historical article about a strange New Jersey History event could have done to the factory site. How does it follow that if an article is published in Weird NJ about a historic site, the site will be destroyed? Pasadena is located in a public State Forest, it is free to anyone to visit and enjoy. Why should we keep these areas hidden and secret? Perhaps, if more people visited the site it would get more special care, the State would actually spend money on preserving it. The real damage done to the site is as follows: (1) people continually misinterpret the site as a terra-cotta factory. It was not; it was a brick factory that failed before it ever saw completion. (2) Miscreants who wander the woods and feel that damaging and defacing public cultural heritage is "fun" or "cool". And, (3) The large number of forest fires that have ravaged the region for well over one hundred years.
The Brooksbrae factory is a public treasure, it should be shared with everyone, not just Pinelands enthusiasts, but also New Jersey history and Jerseyana enthusiasts. Also, my small article about a pair of scandalous deaths is only a drop in the bucket when you consider that the same information is available in the works of Henry Beck, William McMahon, Paul Schopp, and even the New Jersey Pinelands Commission.
Scott W.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Scott,

I read and enjoyed your article in Weird NJ. The problem that we've seen with the WeirdNJ crew is that many times it brings an excessive amount of traffic to a site, and oftentimes results in vandalism, etc. Look at what has happened with Demons Alley and some of the other places that have been published in WNJ. Many have been torn down by the state because of the increase in trespassing and vandalism.

WNJ is the "National Enquirer" of sources of information on the state. Sure it brings information to the masses, but oftentimes it's not historically accurate, or even fact checked. I'd rather keep those who aren't interesting in preserving history and respecting the past out so that those of us who do enjoy exploring will have places to go that haven't been torn up by kids.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know we weree on the right track. However, my explanation must not have been clear because I explained that we believe that the heated air from the furnace (s) would have been conducted underground through the northern tunnel and underneath the ovens (the long structures) and up into the open holes on the north side that are still visible on the floors of the ovens. Then this air would travel south through the length of the ovens and be forced down through similar holes in the floors to the tunnel exiting on the south side. I also discussed that the air that was ingested in the heating source would have been pre-heated. This was done by pulling air through the small openings still visible on the roof of the ovens before it was ingested by the fires in the furnace(s) which , in turn, sent this superheated air to the ovens via the underground tunnel. Am I still wrong? I don't think so, but I would like to know what you think since you have put a lot of time into this site.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Well I showed up at Pasadena today in the middle of the paintball madness and got to witness the fun for myself. There were at least 10 people there mostly wearing camoflauge and spraying paint everywhere. There was a girl on top of the remaining oven roof filming it all too. I just walked right into the war with a digusted look on my face and then yelled to one guy to ask him to not shoot me! The there was all this "Cease Fire" yelling which I appreciated. I then started telling them that this is a historical area owned by the State that they were defacing . The guy said there were no signs posted and everyone got uptight with my presence. I poked around a little and then went back to the road, wrote down all the license plates, and called the State Forest authorities. I got someone who knew the area and said they had noticed an increase in traffic there lately and I said it's most likely due to the WNJ story that ran. They said they were very glad I reported it and said they would try to send someone. It was shift change time and the guy who was suppose to go didn't sound like he would make it on time. Either way, I gave them the plate numbers and they saidd they would follow through with contacting them. Before I left, the shooting had erupted again, showing that they did not care about the historical value of the place. Hopefully this will help stop the crazy paintball assault plaguing Pasadena.

B

bach2yoga

Good for you, Jokerman!
I just got the phone number of the owner of the brick factory that weird nj is to be writing about, to give him the heads up in case he wants to alert the police.
I doubt that since it is being sold that he even cares about it, but the place is falling apart and a definite liability if anyone gets hurt there.
Nykki, Kendawg, gotta get you there soon...thanks for hangin with us today, Ken.
Renee