PayPal

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I closed my account with PayPal. I'm a little confused by them constantly aligning themselves with other business, and then breaking off the relationship. It makes it all confusing, and one of their recent policy changes has me wondering.

The recent policy change basically says we consent to "receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained. We may place such calls or texts to (i) notify you regarding your account; (ii) troubleshoot problems with your account (iii) resolve a dispute; (iv) collect a debt; (v) poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, (vii) contact you with offers and promotions; or (viii) as otherwise necessary to service your account or enforce this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you". They go on to say that I also agree that they "may share your phone numbers with our Affiliates or with our service providers, such as billing or collections companies, who we have contracted with to assist us in pursuing our rights or performing our obligations under this User Agreement...". And lastly they say that "Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you." But I suppose that is standard language. We all must pay.

Yeah, I know, privacy is now dead. But something about this whole thing bothers me. How about you, do you have PayPal?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I closed my account with PayPal. I'm a little confused by them constantly aligning themselves with other business, and then breaking off the relationship. It makes it all confusing, and one of their recent policy changes has me wondering.

The recent policy change basically says we consent to "receive autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained. We may place such calls or texts to (i) notify you regarding your account; (ii) troubleshoot problems with your account (iii) resolve a dispute; (iv) collect a debt; (v) poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires, (vii) contact you with offers and promotions; or (viii) as otherwise necessary to service your account or enforce this User Agreement, our policies, applicable law, or any other agreement we may have with you". They go on to say that I also agree that they "may share your phone numbers with our Affiliates or with our service providers, such as billing or collections companies, who we have contracted with to assist us in pursuing our rights or performing our obligations under this User Agreement...". And lastly they say that "Standard telephone minute and text charges may apply if we contact you." But I suppose that is standard language. We all must pay.

Yeah, I know, privacy is now dead. But something about this whole thing bothers me. How about you, do you have PayPal?

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

I have an account, but use it only as a buyer. Sellers run very big risks using them. As far as the phone calls, that's what caller-id is for, you don't have to answer. Or you can use a not-in-service tone as your answering message :D Works better than the do-not-call registry
thumbsup.gif

An example of a buyer getting screwed;

http://consumerist.com/2012/01/03/p...urchased-violin-instead-of-return-for-refund/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Whatever, I will keep my account. I don't use it very often, but have automatic billing setup with my web hosting company, and my friend in Europe sometimes uses it to reimburse me for things I buy her in the US.

I don't use a landline phone anymore, I just have it since Verizon DSL is the only internet service I can get. There is no phone plugged into the line, but when I did have one it got constant telemarketing calls. Unfortunately the telemarketers seem to have gotten my cell phone number over the past year or two. So I just don't answer calls from unknown numbers anymore.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I can't stand Pay Pal. I tried them as a buyer only. They sent me a message that they had a problem with my credit card account. My credit card company didn't have a problem so why did Pay Pal. I started with their resolution center and got a half a day of circle jerk.
Now if I see someone wanting me to pay with Pay Pal I skip right by them. As far as I am concerned they are associated with junk.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is something to worry about. Not sure what I am going to do. I have only used it maybe twice in the past 5 years.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I would call the and tell them you would like change your privacy choices. You have the right to opt out by law. I deal with this stuff everyday with my job.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think that if PP started robo-calling people a good chunk of the internet would revolt and they'd be buried under a mountain of bad press. I don't really see them actually doing it.

It's probably an overzealous lawyer putting it in to the agreement.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I found them many years back to be a level below slime, whatever that may be. Used to do a substantial amount of business through them via Ebay then notified one day that my account was frozen because my adult son owed them some back fees? Since we share a common name they just on their own tied the two accounts together and locked me out. It was then you realize how they had complete control and non existent customer service. I had a decent mount of cash in the account from my sales but could not access until the kid straightened things out.

An article that came out today:
http://www.cnet.com/news/us-regulator-orders-paypal-to-pay-25-million-in-refunds-fines/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have not heard Paypal telling us how to make the decision if we want calls or not. I have to assume they are trying to keep that quiet.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, I don't quite get it. I just logged into my account for the first time in awhile. Under notifications, the only things I have enabled are sending/requesting money, making purchases and account info changes. There are a number of unchecked notification options for things like offers, surveys, newsletters and PayPal marketing. I think this is how I set my account up originally.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a bunch of crap from Paypal! Close the barn door after the horses are out, but don't be proactive and send me a letter indicating that "if you closed your account because of the new policy, then we apologize and would like you back, and here is the updated policy to show you how to opt out".

They are acting like a true monopoly = up yours, you are not an important customer. Something stinks about this whole thing. If they run a company like this, how are they handling your money?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I still don't understand exactly what is going on. My preferences all say not to contact me for any marketing purposes. I think that means they would only robo-call me for things related to my account such as fraud or hacking alerts. If so, I am cool with that. They haven't tried to call me yet, and I don't get marketing e-mails from them.

eBay owns PayPal, seems like that is where the anger should be directed.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I still don't understand exactly what is going on. My preferences all say not to contact me for any marketing purposes. I think that means they would only robo-call me for things related to my account such as fraud or hacking alerts. If so, I am cool with that. They haven't tried to call me yet, and I don't get marketing e-mails from them.

eBay owns PayPal, seems like that is where the anger should be directed.

The new agreement gives the company the ability to send out surveys, offers and promotions through automated means, which is above and beyond your account stuff. I have not received any yet, although I don't answer calls from unknowns. None of this bothers me much other than being yet another annoyance, maybe have to re-activate the not-in-service tone :D

Paypal and EBay will no longer be together, they will split sometime later this year, although there will still be working arrangements between them. All this calling stuff is probably due to them looking for new business.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenb...lit-carl-icahn-and-elon-musk-wish-comes-true/