PayPal

Arey

Scout
Oct 17, 2007
Atl. Co. near the ocean
The only problem with not answering calls from unknowns is that the unknown calling may actually be someone you need to speak to. For example this week I got two of those Microsoft scam calls, the second one was a "source of innocent merriment" He had a very heavy accent and was probably very new at the job. The call went in the following manner.
"I am calling from [garbled]". He repeated this but I thought I recognized who he said he was calling from.
"Are you calling from Microsoft?"
"Yes, Ma'am"
"It's Sir"
"Yes Ma'am"
"O.K. You're calling from Microsoft, now what's the next question you're supposed to ask me?"
"Are you having a computer?"
"No."
"I am sorry I am disturbing you Ma'am, goodby"
A few minutes later another call came from Silver Springs MD and a telephone number was shown, but no identifying information. I picked the phone up in a negative state of mind, but it turned out to be a FEMA representative about my request for a review of my flood insurance claim. My phone ringer was only on because I wanted to hear from FEMA and the electrician, and the ringer will stay on until my FEMA request is settled. At which time I'll turn the ringer back off, the answering machine back off, only check the answering machine when a little red light goes on, and only check the voice mail when I pick up my phone and the dial tone stutters. Until then I'm stuck answering for any unknown caller where a location and phone number is shown. Unless it's area code 632, and those I don't pick up, I delete them as soon as the phone stops ringing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The only reason I have a landline is because Verizon DSL is the only form of internet connection I can get here. I do not have a telephone connected to the line. When I moved here almost 10 years ago, I used the landline and most of the calls were telemarketers. I hope they are having fun calling my number now. If somebody needs to contact me and calls that listed number, tough luck, they aren't going to get me and will not be able to leave a message.

I use my cell phone exclusively now and don't answer calls from unknown numbers. If it's important, they can leave a message.

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For those that wish to keep their PayPal account and not receive the calls, use the contact tab and tell them you want out. I did and received this response. It remains to be seen if it will actually be true.

"Great news! I already requested for the robocalls and marketing surveys using your phone number to be opted out.
Since we value our relationship with customers, your account is added on the priority list and this will take effect once our technical team manually updated your account set up.
In the event that you have plans to add another phone number in your PayPal account, please contact us if you want those numbers opted out as well.
We honor your requests not to be contacted through these channels and this will not result in your PayPal account being closed.
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your patience regarding this matter.
Thank you for being part of the PayPal community.
Sincerely, Froilan
PayPal Customer Solutions
PayPal Copyright © 1999-2015 PayPal. All rights reserved."