PC

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

My wife purchased a PC yesterday evening, and we were able to connect it to the cable modem exactly as you said without any problems. Actually there was a slight problem. When we did the automatic setup of the Internet connection, it kept informing us that it could not find a way to connect to the internet. But as soon as we launched the browser we realized that it had actually set it up properly.

She has already installed the software we talked about, and is quite happy.

Guy :lol: :D :wink:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, that automatic connection wizard thing is crap, unless you a) have a modem, and b) want to connect to MSN.

When you see it just hit cancel, then check the box that says "Do not show me this anymore" and then voila, you can launch your browser using your LAN connection.

I told you it'd work. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was no microphone in the box, but when we go into the sound setup it lists a microphone that appears to be a generic one from the computer company. But no sound is being accepted. If there was an internal one it should be working. I tried the Mac microphone and the plug is the same diameter, but it will not press in all the way. Any idea's.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The PC sees the microphone as the microphone input on the sound card. The mac one *should* work fine. I'm not sure why it wouldn't go in all the way.

You also need to make sure that the mic input is not muted.

You should have a little speaker icon down by your clock. Double click on this. Select "Options" then "Properties" and select the "Recording" radio button. You'll then see your volume control change, and be able to mute, unmute, and raise and lower the gain on the mic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

We checked all of your suggestions and they are set properly, but it still will not work. I believe since the Mac microphone plug is longer and does not go in all of the way, we are out of luck. She will have to buy one. Here is a photo of the plug.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/MicPlug.jpg

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
Ben,

We checked all of your suggestions and they are set properly, but it still will not work. I believe since the Mac microphone plug is longer and does not go in all of the way, we are out of luck. She will have to buy one. Here is a photo of the plug.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/MicPlug.jpg

Guy

Hmm, that looks like the right size/type. If you have a set of walkman headphones, you can plug that into the mic jack and see if they fit. Those are the correct size.

Perhaps the Mac microphone has some form of plastic thing on it that prevents it from being plugged into anything but a Mac?

Regardless, you should be able to get one for under $5 at Radio Shack.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I compared the Mac plug and an standard headphone plug, and the Mac plug is at least one eighth of an inch longer. So we went to Radio Shack and she bought one for $10 and is using it right now. It appears to work fine. Thanks for all of your help.

BTW, I have those maps we talked about from the web zipped up and can upload them to my site on your server if you are interested. It is 36MB so it will take some time.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
Ben,
BTW, I have those maps we talked about from the web zipped up and can upload them to my site on your server if you are interested. It is 36MB so it will take some time.

Guy

Send them along. Maybe I will try to make them into some easier format to use and post them on the site. (And hopefully not get sued.)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Before I send the full file, I have given you three samples. If you are not interested in them tell me so. I can take it. :cry: :( :| :roll:

Update: The file has not uploaded. I think it stopped so I will try again tomorrow night.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I did drop them in my directory, but for some reason the transfer constantly stops. Then when I click on "Stop", it informs me it is "asking server to cancel". It will negotiate forever until I quit. I had to resume the file transfer 20 times to upload a 3MB file. I am not sure why this is happening.

Anyway, try printing these.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/Maps.zip

Guy