Penbryn Lake

Bill

Aug 10, 2015
I think this may be one of my first posts but I have been a long time lurker of this board. I am an avid kayaker Mullica, Batsto, Wading, Cooper, Delaware Rivers, Atlantic Ocean and lakes and I have learned much from this site about different areas to explore and phenomenal insight into the history and relevance of these wonderful places.

I live near and paddle frequently Penbryn Lake in Winslow. I have two questions. I have heard several rumors about the quality and safety of that lake. My understanding is that its an old quarry lake so I know the concerns regarding drowning. My concerns are related to pollution and water quality. I have seen lots of people fish and swim in the lake oiver the years but figured I ask people who may know more.

Also, the lake was filled with a pea soup like substance recently. I saw it this time last year too. It's particularly heavy near the shore. I figured an algae bloom would happen when the water warmed up, not now when the water is in the 50's. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for any info you can provide. And, thanks for allowing me the pleasure of looking in and learning from you all for the last few months.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's a groundwater pond created by many years of draglining and dredging sand. The Pettinos company had their own RR siding there if I am not mistaken. The water has no circulation from the influence of streams and may harbor a few unique algae species because of that. Not aware of any pollution issues.
Swam there in the '70's. No more dangerous than any other water body. Of course there is a crane at the bottom with the operator still at the controls, just like every other sand pit in NJ. :)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Also, the lake was filled with a pea soup like substance recently. I saw it this time last year too. It's particularly heavy near the shore. I figured an algae bloom would happen when the water warmed up, not now when the water is in the 50's. Any ideas?

That's no algae bloom :jd:

RMl71VOjGb.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Most folks that drown in old quarry ponds do so because they can't swim and/or are drunk.These pods are no more dangerous then any other body of water deep enough to drown a person but they are much clearer so body recovery is much easier. I have noticed while swimming in sand wash holes that are still in use or recently abandoned they do sting the eyes severely.I later heard that they pump Hydrochloric acid into the water to clean the sand as they pump it up???? This may be bunk but it would explain the eye sting.I have never experienced this in long abandoned holes.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Most folks that drown in old quarry ponds do so because they can't swim and/or are drunk.These pods are no more dangerous then any other body of water deep enough to drown a person but they are much clearer so body recovery is much easier. I have noticed while swimming in sand wash holes that are still in use or recently abandoned they do sting the eyes severely.I later heard that they pump Hydrochloric acid into the water to clean the sand as they pump it up???? This may be bunk but it would explain the eye sting.I have never experienced this in long abandoned holes.

You're right about the hydrochloric acid use in sand mining:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Hydrochloric+acid+sand+mining

Not sure how long it would hang around before decomposing into something more harmless though. It could also just be the lake monster. Did this happen after some hanky-panky on a diving platform with a cute girl? ;)