Penn State Forest

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Along with the Batona Trail info, Mr. Bardock had some old maps of Penn State Forest and others. I will concentrate on Penn right now. The 1931 aerials tell us that Oswego Lake was not there in 1931, so lets narrow down as much as possible the year it was actually formed?

The arrow points to the dam location of today in this 1931 aerial.

1931.jpg

It appears that on June 1, 1938 someone from the Division of Forests & Parks of the Department of Conservation & Development drew up a map dipicting the places for enjoyment in Penn State Forest. The map will prove to us that by the 1938 date, Oswego Lake was there.

First, lets look over the Legend. Take notice of all the symbols and the date it was drawn.

IMG_4641a.jpg

This is the front cover of the pamphlet that was released. This shows the wooden observation platform that was on Bear Swamp Hill. I had heard years ago when I acquired a photograph of it that the photograph was taken from a glass negative. I am not really sure the true facts of this.

IMG_4638.jpg

So, where was this tower actually at on Bear Swamp Hill? Was it where the foundations of the tower that was hit by the plane are located? If this map shows the true location, it is slightly down the hill towards the main road. Then again it does not show the comfort station to be in the same location as it was before it was destroyed or removed.

IMG_4642.jpg

Oswego Lake in 1938.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/PennStateForest/IMG_4640.jpg

And the full map of Penn State Forest. Notice at the bottom right it shows the way to Highway S40 which today is 72.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/PennStateForest/IMG_4641.jpg

Guy

Lake Oswego

Guy:
Thanks so much for posting this information—it is all very interesting! In 1957, the New Jersey Department of Conservation and Economic Development, Division of Fish and Game, issued its New Jersey Fisheries Survey: Report Number Three: Lakes and Ponds. The issuance of Report Number 3 supplanted Report Number 2, issued in 1953 and Report Number 1, issued in 1950. Each of these reports consists of two volumes: the first volume contains textual matter while the second volume contains drawings depicting the various lakes and ponds. Had I known of your interest to date Lake Oswego, I would have posted information about this water body sooner. Here is what volume 1 of the 1957 report states about this lake:

OSWEGO LAKE
Burlington County
Area: 90 acres
Elevation: 40 feet
Maximum depth: 8 feet
Mean depth: 3 feet

This impoundment is situated on the Oswego River which is also the east branch of the Wading River. The lake was originally impounded around 1936 as a reservoir for cranberry bogs. Repairs to the dam were made by the C.C.C. in 1941 shortly after the state acquired the lake as part of a tract of land now known as the Penn State Forest. The lake is still used as a cranberry reservoir, but has also become an important recreational center for visitors to this forest. The major recreational facilities at the lake include—swimming, fishing, and boating. There are no boat liveries, but car-top boats may be brought in upon securing permission from the park superintendent. Excellent picnic facilities have been established.
Most of the shore of this lake is lined with pine; towards the lower end this has been cleared into park-like picnic area. The original lake basin consisted primarily of sand, though much of this has been overlain with organic detritus. Aquatic vegetation is very thick throughout most of the lake area except at the lower end and along the swimming beach. The substrate in the basin is mud.
Like so many other impoundments in this region of the state, Oswego Lake is highly acid, with a pH of 4.3 in August of 1952, when it was surveyed. Its water has the typical brown color of New Jersey “cedar waters,” though not as deeply tinted as most. Some stratification of the water temperatures, from top to bottom, can be expected to take place during the summer months, though oxygen concentrations were found to be adequate at all depths at the time of the survey.

Volume 1 then continues for a couple of pages about the fish found in Lake Oswego.

I have many happy memories of going to the lake to swim and boat while growing up. Once the state collapsed the ranger station, however, the crowds became too rowdy and my family stopped going there.

I really appreciate all of the primary source material you have provided here, Guy! Keep up the good work!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman,

Thank you for the info. Where was the ranger station at back then? The parking area?

Guy

Jerseyman,

Thank you for the info. Where was the ranger station at back then? The parking area?

Guy

Guy:

As you pulled into the parking area, the ranger station was on the right near the southwest corner of the lot close to the lake. As I recall, the state fabricated the building to be collapsible and with the roof removed and the furniture gone, the four walls collapsed onto the floor and a truck carted the entire structure away.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks Guy,
I really appreciate this information, also the Batona Trail info. If you have more please keep it coming.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman,

Again, thank you for the info.

Ed,

I have Lebanon and Bass River maps also that I will post as soon as I can. One of the Lebanon is before 70 was 70 and the Bass River I believe is old also. They are nothing special but maybe there is something of interest for someone.

Guy

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011
Lake Oswego

Volume 1 then continues for a couple of pages about the fish found in Lake Oswego.

Jerseyman

I know im the guy reviving the old thread here, but would you please upload the information in the survey about the fish in the lake? :D i would be interested to read, and i couldnt find that online