People need to get a grip

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Turkeys were walking through the Godfrey Bridge campsite when we were camping there in April. A pickup pulled up with a fellow asking me where the birds went. I pointed him in the right direction and just asked him not to aim towards our tent LOL :)

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
No worries, only mammals can contract rabies in the wild.

I have to confess, I did not know rabies was only communicable among mammals. Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know. I have a friend who was feeding stray cats by hand and one of them bit him and scratched him. His doctor recommended rabies shots. He said that not only were the multiple injections he had to take given with very large and painful needles, the treatment made him very sick.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have a friend who was feeding stray cats by hand and one of them bit him and scratched him. His doctor recommended rabies shots. He said that not only were the multiple injections he had to take given with very large and painful needles, the treatment made him very sick.

When we had our dog at the vets for a checkup the vet came out sporting a very large bandage on one hand. He was examining a cat and it bit him, bad. He said they are one of the worst bites you can get and if you are bit, need to get medical attention. He has heard of folks losing fingers, or worse, to the infection that can set in. I did some searching about this when we got home. I never knew and now will always keep one eye on our cat :D

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/animal_bites.htm