Permethrin ads

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have been seeing ads for Sawyer's Permethrin all over the place recently. What a "coincidence"... I just posted about Sawyer's in another thread. ;)

Is it just me, or do these images also bother you? A guy is apparently heavily spraying his pack out in the woods in a manner that implies you can use the stuff like any other bug spray. Then a couple are spraying all their gear (with 6 pairs of boots!) on what appears to be a picnic table in a park. How would you like to sit down there for a picnic an hour later? :D

It's a good product, but I don't use it like this. I wear gloves, wash thoroughly afterwards, don't spray near where I eat and always allow at least an afternoon in the sun drying time. The 6 weeks/6 washings claim is also very questionable IMO.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 1.56.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 3.22.31 PM.png

Last edited:

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I agree with you 46er, and appreciate the link. But those pictures that were posted earlier do make it seem like you can spray anything with no regrets.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I must admit a few times I have forgotten to spray till I walked out the door.I then sprayed my pants and shoes while on my person.I reasoned it this way.Death by chemical? or death by chiggers/ticks? I took the chemical. Also the guy spraying the dog with it should be executed.I might spray myself but never an animal.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Have been seeing ads for Sawyer's Permethrin all over the place recently. What a "coincidence"... I just posted about Sawyer's in another thread. ;)

Is it just me, or do these images also bother you? A guy is apparently heavily spraying his pack out in the woods in a manner that implies you can use the stuff like any other bug spray. Then a couple are spraying all their gear (with 6 pairs of boots!) on what appears to be a picnic table in a park. How would you like to sit down there for a picnic an hour later? :D

It's a good product, but I don't use it like this. I wear gloves, wash thoroughly afterwards, don't spray near where I eat and always allow at least an afternoon in the sun drying time. The 6 weeks/6 washings claim is also very questionable IMO.

View attachment 11897 View attachment 11898
I agree with everything you said Boyd. I also do not follow the 6 week/ 6 washings rule. I wash and dry all my gear every time out and re-spray everything afterwards, unless I go out in the evening and early the next morning. But I never get past two washings without a re-spray.

I also spray my backpack and waders. I spray my undershirt and wrote a "P" on it in marker so it does not get confused with regular clothes.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You may want to reconsider spraying your waders if you use them entering water.

You are probably correct that I cannot be sure that the small amount of dried permethrin on my waders will not leach into a bog.

But I wonder how many thousands of tons of pesticides and weed killer run off into the bogs, streams and lakes from commercial farms in the Pinelands? If you have a garden or lawn, do you use pesticides, Round-up, or moss kill?

Be sure and vote Green New Deal in the next election, the environment will thank you.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You are probably correct that I cannot be sure that the small amount of dried permethrin on my waders will not leach into a bog.

This might be an option for you; total protection and no side effects. Just be careful of the briars ;)

bubble_boy_filtered.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Now I am hearing frequent ads on Sirius/XM for something called "Insect Shield Clothing" with ominous music that warns about the dangers of tick and mosquito borne diseases. They claim that the treatment lasts for 70 washings and that the US miliary uses their products.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Now I am hearing frequent ads on Sirius/XM for something called "Insect Shield Clothing" with ominous music that warns about the dangers of tick and mosquito borne diseases. They claim that the treatment lasts for 70 washings and that the US miliary uses their products.

I've seen that for about 2 years now. I am skeptical as to the amount of time they last. My inclination is to not trust them. I don't even trust a single application of permethrin to last longer that 5 washes.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Treated clothing has been available for a number of years from most outdoor clothing suppliers. Expensive and not worth it IMO. Maybe if I lived in the Amazon. Fear sells.

Reactions: old jersey girl

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm aware of treated clothes, REI, Dicks and others sell them. Just never heard an ad on national media before and find it unlikely that treated clothes would be effective after anything close to 70 washings. I treat my own clothes after each washing (but not as heavily as fresh clothes). If I wear the same clothes for a month, even without washing, they no longer seem effective against ticks.

I'm aware of treated clothes, REI, Dicks and others sell them. Just never heard an ad on national media before and find it unlikely that treated clothes would be effective after anything close to 70 washings. I treat my own clothes after each washing (but not as heavily as fresh clothes). If I wear the same clothes for a month, even without washing, they no longer seem effective against ticks.

How about mammals? Notice anyone staying upwind lately?! LOL

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I am out for awhile everyday, in my own woods. So I have grubby clothes for that, am not interested in doing the laundry every day. And I said if I wear the same clothes for a month, which I don't usually do. I was just pointing out that permethrin isn't effective for that long. But since you're concerned about the well-being of mammals in my vicinity, no, I don't see anybody - upwind or downwind - which is why I enjoy it here. If I was going out in public, I wouldn't dream of wearing these clothes. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited: