Personal issue related to sweating

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Now that it's getting warmer, I am sweating alot more on my hikes. Now I always wear loose fitting clothing and drink plenty of fluids, esp before I start. But I am having a personal problem, it probably happens to more of us than we'd like to admit. I am getting what bicyclists call a "saddle sore". I basically sweat like crazy down there and it gets irritated and I get painful sores that make it hard to walk.
Is there anything I can buy to avoid this from happening in the future, as it really unpleasant. I've tried powder and gold bond, doesn't work. I get so hot sometimes I think I'm better off hiking with just my pants (no underwear). I used to wear briefs which was much worse, I wear boxers and I am still not rid of this problem! It's embarrasing for me to ask, but I need some answers.
Hurt like hell after that 10 mile walk in Connetquot the other day.:jd:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You don't wear cotton undershorts do you? They soak up your sweat and the cotton chafes your skin. Have you tried bicycle shorts and polyester underwear?

Maybe Onehand will give you a tip. He used to bicycle a lot.

PS: one tip that definitely works for me when I do get raw in that area. Buy a tube of diaper rash, but not any kind with scent to it. And get a tube that has mostly zinc oxide or cod liver oil in it. After showering and drying well. Coat the entire area. It keeps the moisture off allowing healing to take place.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Forgive me for replying, being a girlie and all, but I used to do some fairly hardcore road biking, (girls get saddle sores, too!) and learned quickly that A&D ointment (or even Vaseline) smeared liberally over the affected area will alleviate the problem. It feels only a little oogey at first. :)

I hope that helps.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Try some next generation clothing, cotton is the enemy of hikers. Polypropalene, spelled wrong I'm sure, has excellent wicking qualities that remove the sweat from your body and keeps you dry. They also tend to be tear resitant and have an antibacterial coating that removes odor, its great for trips that have you on the trail for a few days. They cover the gambit of clothes; shirts, shorts, pants, underpants, etc. Also its better if clothes are tighter fitting, looser allows more room for sweat to puddle on your skin and in pocketed areas.
As other people have already pointed out try a coating of vaseline or a smooth glide deoderant, or just try commando if you have the right shorts.:jd:

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I guess I'll add my warning to the mix. I had something similar last year and I ignored it. Long story short, I ended up at the doctors with a very painful infection. I did find a powder that seems to work better, I think it's Zeo sport or Zeo sorb, something like that. I'll look when I get home and get back to you.

I didn't tell this to my best freind, I can't believe I just posted this on the web!:)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Cotton briefs and tight fitting clothing made it worse last summer, so thats why I switched to looser fitting clothing.
I don't wear shorts in the woods because of the ticks. I think that zeo powder may be an idea, I've also heard chamios creme helps. Or going "commando".:siren:

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
In cold or cool weather cotton is bad news.In hot weather it has great evaporative cooling qualities,the lower the humidity the better.However in the case of underwear it gets no air flow, so it just stays wet.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
grendel said:
In cold or cool weather cotton is bad news.In hot weather it has great evaporative cooling qualities,the lower the humidity the better.However in the case of underwear it gets no air flow, so it just stays wet.

That's why I like winter.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
piker56 said:
I did find a powder that seems to work better, I think it's Zeo sport or Zeo sorb, something like that. I'll look when I get home and get back to you.

It's Zeasorb-AF.