Photo snitching

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, is there a way you can add a statement regarding ownership of photos? Something like "don't use without permisson". I'd hate to see someone selling a key chain with a photo I took. I don't want to put a copyright on the photo itself.

bob

B

BarryC

Hey Bob, Good thinking. I agree with you there. Sounds like a good idea.
BobM said:
Ben, is there a way you can add a statement regarding ownership of photos? Something like "don't use without permisson". I'd hate to see someone selling a key chain with a photo I took. I don't want to put a copyright on the photo itself.

bob

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, do you think the type of person who was to snitch and publish your photo without asking will look at a "please don't use this image" tagline?

I started watermarking my images for the same reason you want this. I'd rather have people know where the image came from. Of course someone could always crop the watermark out, but that's the risk you run when you publish photos on the internet.

I'll see what I can come up with, but I can't promise anything. I'm not a programmer and I didn't write the software that runs the image gallery.

B

BarryC

Well it was a thought anyway. You have a good point there though. I have photos on Webshots, but people can download photos from there, and I never thought of what they would do with mine.
bruset said:
Well, do you think the type of person who was to snitch and publish your photo without asking will look at a "please don't use this image" tagline?

I started watermarking my images for the same reason you want this. I'd rather have people know where the image came from. Of course someone could always crop the watermark out, but that's the risk you run when you publish photos on the internet.

I'll see what I can come up with, but I can't promise anything. I'm not a programmer and I didn't write the software that runs the image gallery.

yellowspottedcat

Jun 24, 2003
Maple Shade, New Jersey
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to stop people from doing it in the first place, but it is legally considered theft. I don't know where to find the info off the top of my head, but i can find out what legal course you can take if you find out about someone stealing your images. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will find the info or you can try looking up intelletcual copyrighting. There is some info at this link: http://www.discmakers.com/music/copyrights.php but that is mostly related to music. The same principals apply.