Photography Contest

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
kingofthepines said:
Looks an awful lot like Mr Bob White to me. Or in this case Mrs Bob White.

I see what you mean. I didn't know they'd need talons like that. First I thought it might have been a quail before I picked raptor cause of the talons.

Yep, gotta go with King.

bob%20white%20quail.jpg

Steve

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It is a pretty sad statement about the State's quail population when people here have to debate what kind of bird a dead quail is. Quail were very common not too long ago.
There are almost no native quail left in NJ and the only real hunting is on private pay game farms and State Wildlife Management Areas for pen raised birds.
Quail numbers have been diving fast for the last 20 years primarily due to habitat loss. With the amount of development going on in NJ, that's not going to be changing.
Its been two years since I have heard a quail in the spring around here.
Sad.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As a kid we would run into them every so many feet while walking in the woods by my moms house. They were everywhere. I have not flushed one up since then.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Ugh, my website's photo Gallery is broken . .

All,

I would've had these pictures up earlier, but I usually like to store them on my personal web site so as to detract from space usage (i.e. money spent) and bandwidth on Ben's server. However, unbenounced to me, my shared host changed some internal PHP settings and my Gallery software won't successfully upload pictures anymore.

Nonetheless, I uploaded 5 pictures, the first 2 of which I really like and one which is my favorite from the entire outing on Saturday/Sunday.

First, this one was taking during a hike through Wharton around the upper area of the Mullica. It's a place where we usually hang out and camp from time to time due to the secluded nature and hike in access. The contrast between the water and snow covered vegatation is remarkable.

Mullica river bank photo

Second favorite shot was taken at Goshen, just 30 minutes or so after the last photo was taken. We were walking along the small trail along the bank and the sun seemed to catch the cedars just right. And the hole in the brush just begged to be shot through.

Goshen through the brush

Moving on chronologically, I took this one around sunset from the parking lot of Nixon's General Store in Tabernacle. I was a little late and I didn't have my tripod, but I was still able to capture 'downtown' Tabernacle (if you live around there, you get what I'm saying) in a nice snowy sunset light.

Tabernacle sunset from Nixon's

This one is more of a novelty photo. To cap off the night on Sunday and to take advantage of the moon being out, we went out to Friendship. Sure enough, there was a nice halo around the moon. I tried to take a picture of the river and it came out ok. Too much orange light from the surrounding area due to the fact there was still a decent amount of clound cover spreading the light around.

Friendship at night after snowstorm

Last one was actually taken early Sunday morning when the snow storm was winding down. I was out at Goshen Pond and there was this really interesting light reflecting throughout the area; I call it the 'snowstorm sunshine' but it really doesn't involve any sunshine at all.

Goshen snowstorm sunshine

I uploaded the full resolution of these photos, so if you click on the photo after going to the link, you'll be able to download the photo in maximum resolution to get the full effect (2048 x 1536).

Peace,

Justin

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
send a copy to Cheney!

BobM said:
By the way Jeff, found a dead bird on 70 right by Mount Misery road. Threw it in the truck because I wanted to ID it. I know its a raptor, just can't pin it down. Red Tail Juvenile?

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=386&pos=3

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=386&pos=4

Thet thar bird is a bob-white quail. Send a copy of these pics along with one of a human from waist up to Dick Cheney that he might study the difference...
Dave

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Sorry, Bob

uuglypher said:
Thet thar bird is a bob-white quail. Send a copy of these pics along with one of a human from waist up to Dick Cheney that he might study the difference...
Dave

Sorry, Bob-
I didn't mean to "pile on" about the bob white! I responded before seeing how many others had already done so.

I remember back in the 70s when I was being pretty full of myself as an avid bird watcher that a good friend of mine presented me with a road-kill carcass of a bird and demanded an I.D. ("If you're so damned smart...") Man; I just couldn't figure it out. Turned out he knew that it was a female red-winged blackbird because it was his car that had run thru the flock as it crossed the road. He said he somehow just knew I'd have trouble with that one ... and he was sure right!

Dave

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NewSchoolPiney said:
All,

I would've had these pictures up earlier, but I usually like to store them on my personal web site so as to detract from space usage (i.e. money spent) and bandwidth on Ben's server.

Justin

Very nice photo's Justin. I bet not may people have photo's from Nixon's store, especially one so nice in the snow. That was a good idea.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
uuglypher said:
And many thanks to Bob, Scott and Justin for the great pics. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post them.

But I'm a bit confused ... why do I see the same pics posted separately by Scott and Justin?

Dave

Dave,

Not sure what you mean. Scott's pictures are during the same storm but in different places I believe.

Justin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Those of us who are technically challenged and use this site for posting and providing links to posted photos may always have that problem unless the photo we refer to is in its own individual album, with no other photo in that album. Things are fine until you post another photo into the same album. It crowds out the previous one and gives it a new number, so the URL would have to change. Thats my theory. I never use the URL to a photo found in the "random" or "recently added", so that is not the problem. But if you do that, you have a similar problem too, all photos rotate their URL numbers as others come in (my theory number 2).

BobM said:
Those of us who are technically challenged and use this site for posting and providing links to posted photos may always have that problem unless the photo we refer to is in its own individual album, with no other photo in that album. Things are fine until you post another photo into the same album. It crowds out the previous one and gives it a new number, so the URL would have to change. Thats my theory. I never use the URL to a photo found in the "random" or "recently added", so that is not the problem. But if you do that, you have a similar problem too, all photos rotate their URL numbers as others come in (my theory number 2).

Don't link to the album but the photo itself. The best way is to right click on the photo and grab the url. Don't take the url from the address bar.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I would consider switching back to the old gallery software that did not have this problem since I can now integrate the user accounts there with the ones on the forum, but that would necessitate everybody re-uploading their pictures.

If people are cool with that than I can run with it. Otherwise we're stuck with what we have now.

To be honest, I'm not in love with our gallery software anyway. I only used it so that we could have a single signon between the forums and the gallery.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ben
I lost almost all of my pictures in December due to a crash.
A lot of my favorite photos only live in the gallery on this site.
I would not be able to reload most of them.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Linking 101

You must go into your gallery to link to a photo. The best way to know you are in your gallery is to look at the top left of the gallery page for your name. But remember there must something written to the right of your name for you to be in your gallery. For example:

If you see your name with nothing next to it you are not in your gallery.

wrong.jpg

If there is something written to the right of your name you are in your gallery

correct.jpg

At this point you can choose a photo, open it if need be to the size you want, and right click as Steve mentioned and grab the link.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Don't link to the album but the photo itself. The best way is to right click on the photo and grab the url. Don't take the url from the address bar.

You mean right click; properties/url address?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not elaborate on that one because all browsers are different, and my Mac is altogether different. I just right click and choose "Copy Image Location".

link.jpg

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
RednekF350 said:
Ben
I lost almost all of my pictures in December due to a crash.
A lot of my favorite photos only live in the gallery on this site.
I would not be able to reload most of them.
Scott

You should re-download them to your computer just in case anything happens to them here.

You might want to do that sooner rather than later.