Photo's

J

JeffD

Hey, the resolution is great! I can see Horse wrestling a bear, Little Joe kissing a girl. Mr. Cartright smoking his pipe, and Adam thinking about something. And I almost forgot, there's Hop Sing in the kitchen. I think the boys are going to have Chinese tonight. :hug: It's one big happy family on the Ponderosa.

Did you know that BONANZA was filmed at Lake Tahoe? Years ago I visited my cousins in Sacramento, but found out later that I could have visited the set of the Ponderosa, only a few hours away. I'm suprised my cousin didn't mention it, as he has spent time in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. We didn't have too much time, though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Check out the pix I just put in the Member's Gallery.
Steve,

Thanks for adding a gallery to Ben's site. I see you live in Merchantville which is right near me. Do you get out to the pines often? Is that your vehicle in the one photo?

Guy

Guy, Yes I get out there as oftenest as I can. :D I was out last Sunday so I either love the Pines or I'm insane, not sure which. LOL
Yeah, that's my Ford Escape in the pix, maybe you've seen it out there. I often ride with a friend who has an Explorer of the same color(green). Now that I have a GPS I'll probably go out even more often(if that's even possible). I don't think I'll get out this weekend though since I have to work Saturday and it will be very messy on Sunday.
How about you? From your pix it looks like you've been doing this for quite some time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

My interest in the pines started in May of 1973 when I turned 16 and started working. The first day of work I spotted Forgotten Towns on the shelf and took it home. I wore out two Land Cruisers before 1982 spending every weekend through those years out there. I took a break while raising the family and started back at it two years ago. The GPS and the computer has changed the way I explore from the past, actually making it quite interesting to explore the places of years ago, and the yet undiscovered places of today.

Again thanks for the photo's.

Guy

Guy, Well it seems we started around the same time, albeit for different reasons. Around '72-'73, me and my group of friends started partying at 'Hidden Lakes'. Are you familiar with that area? It's off Rt72 near the tressle in what is now the Greenwood wildlife Management Area. It was a pretty well known partying spot in those days. About 3 or 4 years ago I decided to try to find it again, which I did. It has changed quite a bit. That sparked my new interest in the exploration of the Pine Barrens. I have recently acquired some old books from my mother. They are:
Iron in the Pines/Arthur D. Pierce
The Pine Barrens/John McPhee
The Roads of Home/Henry Charlton Beck
Jersey Genesis/Henry Charlton Beck

I'm sure you are familiar with these books. I only wish I had discovered them earlier. Now when I ride the Pines I can feel the history. This spring and summer I hope to do some hiking in the pines as there are so many roads that are too narrow fore a vehicle. I wonder what I may find?
Maybe the Jersey Devil! LOL

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think that Hidden Lakes area is probably Old Half Way, which is where our next Get-together is going to be. You're certainly welcome to come along with us. Info is on the front page.

Regarding roads that are too narrow, that's why I drive a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. I can get "Pine Barrens Pinstriping" and not care too much. I've been on plenty of trails that started big and ended up small.

Edit: Those are GREAT pictures! Thanks for posting them!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Ben mentioned Hidden Lakes is Old Half Way.

Guy