Photosynth 360's

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am embarking into the world of 360 panorama virtual photography.I do not have the optimal camera or lens for it but am making due with what I have.With a wide angle fisheye lens you can do in six shots what it takes me 50 shots to do.I am eventually going to post some on Google Earth "360 Cities" but need four to start out with and out of 6 I've done two only are good so far.They have to be 360 horizontal and 180 vertical and some I have missed areas and others the program did not stitch properly.I did one of my yard but do not want that posted on Google Earth.Anyway here is the link to my panoramas which is a site that allows you to view and spin them and when i get four good ones I will send them to google earth which has to review them before posting.
http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=manumuskin&content=Synths
I want to get a good sample of all the ecosystems landscapes of the Barrens and other habitats of south Jersey.
Kirby's is inside the Millville city limits and is about the most beautiful upland barrens I know of yet it is not protected as barrens but was recently incorporated into the nature conservancy.It shows waht a difference there is between physiographic Barrens and political barrens.Millville sets totally on the Cohansey acquifer and so does Vineland and wherever the woods are not in succesional stages of post agriculture developement they are pine/oak or oak/pine woodlands,some areas are quite piney especially those that are on the xeric side for white and red oaks.
Anyhow these are not perfect but hopefully i will do better with what i have and maybe get better equipment if I get hooked on it.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are great! I was waiting to see how they would turn out. You hit those out of the park! I will have to get some tips from you.

You need to keep your backpack on your back :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking at the one someone made at Apple Pie Hill which is pretty bad, but it shows that for a basic view of an area you could just take a few photo's and get a semi decent direct view.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al,
Kirby River Road. Keep making them, there are many places that I can think of that would serve as good subjects for this project. Like all your little islands!

I need a panohead Turtle.I have a cousin who can no doubt make me a cheap but effective one.they cost 4 or 5 hundred ready made.it just allows the camera to be swivelled 360 on a tripod and rotated up and down 90 degrees.this avoids parallax issues which causes bad matches on trees and such.i could also solve this problem if i bought software that would alloow me to manually m,atch photos.right now i am using freebie stuff that only does it automatically.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There has to be a trick to it because my first try at a basic one was as bad as the Apple Pie Hill one.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=fb37464d-a72d-43af-8508-016cde33270f

Guy

ok Guy first what you need is a program that will take all your photos and make one big jpeg or bitmap out of them,then feed this into photosynth and it will do a much better job.I did just what you did and got the same results.first ytou need to make one jpeg and then feed it into photosynth to view and spin it.I will try to relocate the link to my free program and send it to you.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had tried that program and it would not except my photo's. I will play some more.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I always feel something lacking even when viewing the most beautiful photographs.being an explorer at heart when I see a landscape that hollers explore me! I immediately want to pan the photo left and right,by the way what is behind me?How tall are these trees next to me?whats at my feet?Photographs can be frustrating but 360's answer many of these questions,Now if i could only take a step and start walking.I love the 360's of hiking trails,being able to look both ways up a trail is unbeatable.Now if we could just get this teleporting humans down and make it affordable we'll be in business.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree. I myself would be very happy with making them just as nice as yours, so if I can get to that point I will make them often.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm getting my cousin in law to make me a homemade tripod with a pano head (He is a carpenter) what would cost me 7 or 800 big ones will probably cost less the 50.
If I have a pano head I can rotate the camera lens around the nodal point and illiminate parallax issues that cause bad stitching.I can attach horizontal and vertical levels to the panohead and make marks to let me know exactly how far to move the camera horizontally each shot and vertically each layer.I will hevae to remove the tripod the last few shots to get the ground under foot.
am having issues in my head.I'd like to make panoramas out of many of my favorite little hidden islands but Google earth by it's nature wants the location to be accurate.Of course I can lie but then why do it? I have very few islands without deer stands on them now.I'm sure if I post the true locations on Google earth next year there will be stands on those too.I may just keep those pano's on photosynth where the locations don't have to be posted.Beautiful areas that are well known and easy of access I will put on Google Earth to show off the barrens and while I have no issues with anyone hunting my (A bit possessive aren't I ? ) islands I do have issues with permanent stands left on them since it's permanent man sign which takes away my cherished though of course false wilderness feeling and of course permanent stands on state land are now illegal anyway.Many portable stands are basically permanent because people leave them there all year,then bitch and moan when they disappear???? Oh well,in any case I want to get good at this,a well taken 360x180 panorama is a beauty to behold.
Al