Phragmites

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I have heard mentioned on this forum that phragmites is an invasive species. Reading this wikipedia article seems to muddy the matter and contradict this.

Visiting Wells Mills lately I noticed a very small patch right next to the dock by the cabin (3'x6'). There is no other area of the lake that has any phragmites. Can it be expected that this will eventually envelope the lake permiter as I see at other areas of the pines? Should the park be notified? Will they care?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
That Wiki article is correct as far as the muddying of the invasive vs. native status of phragmites. Evidence of phragmites has been found in extremely old peat samples in North America. I work at the park and have been keeping my eye on the patch you are talking about for some time now. It hasn’t spread beyond that spot in the decade-plus since I noted it. The species seems to spread the fastest in disturbed wetlands, especially where the grade has been changed, such as dredge spoil areas. We also have a handful of Ailanthus trees, which also have a reputation for being very invasive. While the ones at the park produce seeds, I’ve never seen a seedling survive anywhere at the park. It seems the local native species are better at what they do than these invasives are!

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i stumbled upon some readings that suggest hurricanes dumped these fuel for fire weeds from states down south. ive seen them in maine in small islands. i have to imagine theyve been around a while and are more wide spread then one would think.