Pictures Posted

B

bach2yoga

I posted another 8 this morning I didn't realize I had gotten back.
It occured to me how precarious a position this had to be for the male, with that heavy shell. If the female moves backward for some reason, he would wind up stuck on his back, wouldn't he?
These two were in the middle of the road to Aetna, so we wound up parking and hiking it in.
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Did you move them off to the side of the road?

I've never seen turtles mate before. Thanks for sharing that. This site definately has the best Pine Barrens photography on the internet.

B

bach2yoga

No, I didn't. I didn't want to disturb Mother Nature at work. It was a little "off-road" trail. We parked before them, and there was no way anyone could have gotten past our jeep. I've never seen anyone on that road yet but us. When we came back they were gone. If they had still been there I would have moved them, but I felt safe leaving them there as long as our vehicle was blocking them. There is no other path in from where we were.

I did move a spotted turtle that I found in the road this morning and got its picture too. Feisty little thing. And I found pipewort but I didn't get a pic cuz my batteries died. :(

J

JeffD

I remember seeing a photograph with frogs in a similar position. The caption read something like FROGS DOING THEIR PART TO KEEP THEIR POPULATION VIABLE.

Also, remember the old Beatles' song from, I think it was, the WHITE ALBUM?

Why don't we do it in the road?
Dee-doo Dee-doo-dee-doo-dee
Dee-doo Dee-doo-dee-doo-dee
Why don't we do it in the ro-hoe-hoad?
No one will be watching us why
don't we do it in the road...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Renee,

You should change your caption to say female and male not male and female since I am assuming the female is the one on the left :) Only an assumption!

I did see this occur before and one of the turtles was upside down. That was precarious! I was a kid and was walking in the woods by my house in Marlton.

Guy