Pigs in Greenwood......

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Took a ride to Dicks Sporting Goods in Manahawkin for some fishing gear today. On the way home I stopped at Lucille's for lunch, then up 539 and thru Greenwood, but found the roadblocked behind Webb's Mill Bog. Some slob has dumped a full load of what looks like old shingles and siding right in the middle of the road, no way past except if your riding on 2 wheels. Guess they were too worried of getting caught to try and hide it. Its been reported, hopefully there will be something in the pile to identify them. I took a picture with my wifes cell phone, but I have no idea how to get it onto the computer :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Haha, when I saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to say the wild pigs from Gloucester County had spread to Greenwood! :) http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/the_pigs_have_gone_hog.html

In Gloucester County, rumors of wild pigs circulated for 15 years, followed by confirmed sightings. Finally, in 2000, groundskeepers at the White Oaks Country Club in Newfield, a golf course located within the state's 2,675-acre wildlife management area, were reporting a "sounder," or herd, of 100 pigs ripping up fairways.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Took a ride to Dicks Sporting Goods in Manahawkin for some fishing gear today. On the way home I stopped at Lucille's for lunch, then up 539 and thru Greenwood, but found the roadblocked behind Webb's Mill Bog. Some slob has dumped a full load of what looks like old shingles and siding right in the middle of the road, no way past except if your riding on 2 wheels. Guess they were too worried of getting caught to try and hide it. Its been reported, hopefully there will be something in the pile to identify them. I took a picture with my wifes cell phone, but I have no idea how to get it onto the computer :rolleyes:

46er, if you have a cell phone plan which includes picture texts just attach the picture to a text and send the message to your e-mail address. It'll arrive in your e-mail as an attached picture. Unfortunately dumping like this is all too common....

Boyd, same here!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, if you have a cell phone plan which includes picture texts just attach the picture to a text and send the message to your e-mail address. It'll arrive in your e-mail as an attached picture. Unfortunately dumping like this is all too common....

Tried that, said it was sent, hasn't arrived yet :(

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Is it the road with the pipe under it just east of the bog? Or is it the road to bamber?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its the road south of the bog that comes off 539 that hooks up with the pipe road at the intersection with the big pine in the middle, the one with the curbing on 539 that looks like a driveway.

3395135094_efdea4d4d2.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Okay, thanks, and thanks for calling it in. This year the Forked River Mountain Coalition is starting on cleaning up Carusoville, as well as the power lines next to the toll booth off Lacey Road. If that pile is still there on the 19th, we'll try to get it. We always have access to front end loaders.

By the way...I was at Dicks yesterday too. browsing for upland hunting pants. I use them for exploring. I was surprised they didn't have any. That is a good store, but really, they ought to stop trying to look so fashion conscious and pack that place with inventory.

How was Lucilles. That sounds like a model day!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its a good sized pile, maybe 5-6' high by 8-10' wide. I was told they were sending someone out to check it since its blocking the road.

First time I've been to that chain, spent too much money for sure :) but they have lots of good stuff. They probably don't stock the pants in the stores outside of hunting season.

Lucilles was good, as it always is. We got there late so no crowd.

There was a fellow in Mullica Twsp. that used to run roads and look for debris piles. He'd swear out a warrant for any ID he'd find and when they showed up in court, he'd meet them and drop charges if they'd come out and clean up for a day or so. Might be a better way of getting it done and more efficient (read free labor). The Prosicutor was onboard with it, as it lessened the legal load, the perpitrators were onboard because it would be a lot cheaper and less stressful to just work for a day or two. The roads got cleaner quicker as there was no paperwork.

Good luck!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There was a fellow in Mullica Twsp. that used to run roads and look for debris piles. He'd swear out a warrant for any ID he'd find and when they showed up in court, he'd meet them and drop charges if they'd come out and clean up for a day or so. Might be a better way of getting it done and more efficient (read free labor). The Prosicutor was onboard with it, as it lessened the legal load, the perpitrators were onboard because it would be a lot cheaper and less stressful to just work for a day or two. The roads got cleaner quicker as there was no paperwork.

Good idea, but it might be more effective to press the charges and ask the prosecutor to have the court order him to do that, make it part of his record so he can be fined next time, because if he gets a pass, there most certainly will be a next time. If there isn't a next time, they get to go on with their life.

I believe that it was "noted" in records and some informal "pending" stamp was placed in the papers (to refer to in case the perp didn't quite make it to the cleanup). I know the fellow doing the Lords work was a "Greenie" and passed away in the past year. In either case the person would be known to the prosicutor and this non-event would be cause to proceed to the next level if he ever was convicted of such a charge. I feel it probably helped many "see the light"!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I agree that it was probably instrumental in preventing the dumper from continuing that sort of activity in the future. More effective than just a fine.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
On the way home from my sisters, I stopped to see if the garbage pile was still there. NOPE!!! Its all in a big blue dumpster by the beaver dam and some fill has been placed where the pile was scooped up. Whomever it was, THANKS!!! :guinness: :guinness:

3452899355_ce858d0d72.jpg

BTW, that beaver dam is creating the 6th great lake, Webbs Bog is doomed, this will be the second year its been flooded.

3453714528_37b2138fc7.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were scheduled to go there after finishing our regular clean-up tomorrow. I guess we won't have to now. Pbxbob, is that what we were to pick up??

Is that dam in Greenwood? If so, I may know who may be able to fix that. Can you pinpoint the dams location on Ben's map and get that to me. If I find that it is in Greenwood, I will contact someone.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is in Greenwood. I don't think there is any activity there, the lodge is right next to the dam. Might just need some demolition, but there is an awful lot of water backed up behind it.

You can't miss it.

3453877294_73a972fc35.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fred knows the location, we spoke of it several weeks ago when I stopped by with Pete. I don't think there is any activity there, the lodge is right next to the dam. Might just need some demolition, but there is an awful lot of water backed up behind it.

I don't know who Fred is.

Guy