Pigs in Greenwood......

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We were scheduled to go there after finishing our regular clean-up tomorrow. I guess we won't have to now. Pbxbob, is that what we were to pick up??Guy

We (Forked River Mountain Coalition) put the dumpster there and Kerry convinced someone to pick it up. I think it was fish and game. We will be topping it off tomorrow with other stuff from the same area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
46er,

On Thursday they opened up the pipe near that dumpster to release some of that water. Many people have been discussing the problem and working on it. However, as Bob mentioned today the only way to truly solve it is to trap and remove.

I will try to find out more from my end.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
46er,

I have the 1959 survey of that location, and looking it over I see that where the beaver dam location happens to be is NOT part of the Greenwood Forest. That does not mean it presently is not, just that originally it wasn’t. The next time you are at the dumpster location, look closely at the big tree right at the corner and you will notice three old large slashes in that tree that I noticed today. The Greenwood property crosses at that corner and follows the OUTER edge of the Webbs Mill Branch and goes completely around it and then continues on the other side.

This 1963 aerial shows the survey lines from 4 years earlier. Everything inside the yellow lines is not Greenwood. The red location is the dumpster and you can see the survey line crosses right there at that tree and they put 3 large slashes in it.

1959.jpg

The survey tells me that hidden in the cedar swamp there, someone used a tire “hub” as a corner, and I suspect it still is there. I have known about it but never looked for it, but now I think I will check it out. I have the coordinates for it so I should be able to find it easily.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks Guy, that entire area is now part of Greenwood WMA, its amazing how much it has grown over the years, it's now close to 30K acres as of March f this year. Webbs Bog has a state sign posted on 539. The link is from the F&W site showing the northern boundary of the WMA, they have 2 other maps showing the central and southern boundaries.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wmamaps/greenwood-pasadena_no.pdf

I think I can quickly solve the beaver problem if I can dig up a stick of dynamite :science: although it's too late for this seasons blooms. I'm surprised none of the schools that made field trips there have not complained about the situation. There are 2 pipes, the one nearest the dumpster was recently installed, but it is too high to effectively drain anything other than keeping the road from being flooded. The other large pipe did the job well, but the beavers built their dam around it to block the water loss, smart little devils.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Beaver should be removed. By the way, my friend Mickey also noticed that the water is so high it is threatening some of the plants. He visited the pipes and the small one was clogged. He took a couple minutes to clear it out. We should all do the same when we pass by. It won't hurt and may help the situation some. Here are his photos showing the flooding.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Those pipes are new aren't they? There was a bridge there as recently as two years ago. After visiting there on Sunday I think some of the problems are those pipes. Did this flooding start after they were put in? I think they are not situated properly.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The smaller of the pipes is new this year along with some road grading. The other larger diameter one was doing just fine till the damn dam went in. The water under the boardwalk has been up to the boards for the past 2 years, it would be remarkable if anything survives.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The smaller of the pipes is new this year along with some road grading. The other larger diameter one was doing just fine till the damn dam went in. The water under the boardwalk has been up to the boards for the past 2 years, it would be remarkable if anything survives.

I don't think it will be super critical. The Arethusa, Rose Pogonia, Curly Grass, Lance Leaved sabatia, and Gold crest will be fine. The only one I really would worry about is the bog asphodel. Still, I'd rather see it like it was years ago, with no more than 1/16th inch of clean water streaming over the white sand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I contacted someone last night and gave them all the scenarios of what I and we felt the problem may be. They wrote me back today and said they would contact the person or persons in charge of that area and would give them the info I passed along. If I hear anything else I will let you know.

Guy