Pine Barren Culture; Dead or Alive

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Good posts!

The Pines Barrens stayed the same but after they turned Atlantic City into Las Vegas the drive down from Manhattan was different. The Turnpike was much more crowded and the down home country music radio stations I used to be able to pick up on my old dial radio were gone. There was one old radio station I particularly liked. The disk jockey would stop the song right in the middle, play the commercial and stuff, and start it right at the same note.

Busby's general store was still there in Chatsworth and Friendship was still (sparsley) inhabited and everything was still pretty much the way it was when Mr McP wrote his book just a few years earlier. That NY Times travel story about the Pines - three words of it captured my imagination - "the windswept pines" - and inspired me to drive down in my Beetle (a great car for the narrow sand roads) - and then I fell in love with the place. I admit that I did fall out of love with the place to a certain extent years later when we spent a few lazy summer days camping out and lying around in Washington ghost town, i think it was, only to find that ticks had bored into our bodies in all the nastiest places. I put a rag down into the VW gas tank to soak in in gasoline and put that over the ticks and they wiggled out. It worked good but last I heard that method is no longer recommended. I think u r supposed to twist them out counterclockwise or something only that method has NEVER worked for me including the time I was covered with ticks in the Ozarks. I haven't read up on the subject of late because I haven't been troubled with the things here in AZ but I think maybe the gasoline method was best after all. I hate ticks but I love the Pines Barrens even though Chatsworth doesn't look like Chatsworth any more.

Reactions: Trailwalker

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I hate ticks but I love the Pines Barrens even though Chatsworth doesn't look like Chatsworth any more.

Actually, Chatsworth on main street still looks like Chatsworth. You haven't noticed because you have to keep you eyes glued on the road to avoid hitting the speed bumps too hard. I hate those things. They should have used strong enforcement and signs instead.

I pull ticks straight out. The head of about 10% of them stays in--I always look for that. If it happens, I get out my needle, heat it up, and dig it out, then liberally apply the mercurochrome.

Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I pull ticks straight out. The head of about 10% of them stays in--I always look for that. If it happens, I get out my needle, heat it up, and dig it out, then liberally apply the mercurochrome.

A real man indeed!

Reactions: manumuskin

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yep the old fashioned gasoline method sounds better all the time. Dip your rag into the gas tank and wet it a little and apply it to the ticks and they wiggle their cute little behinds and come right out. The book I read said they also regurgitate their tick juice on the way but I don't think i believe it. I never had a problem doing it that way and I've had a lot of ticks on me. Sounds better than a festering tick head or digging it out with your hunting knife or axe. One big problem is how do you dip a rag into the new fangled gas tanks? The fangle blocks the filler pipe.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yep the old fashioned gasoline method sounds better all the time. Dip your rag into the gas tank and wet it a little and apply it to the ticks and they wiggle their cute little behinds and come right out. The book I read said they also regurgitate their tick juice on the way but I don't think i believe it. I never had a problem doing it that way and I've had a lot of ticks on me. Sounds better than a festering tick head or digging it out with your hunting knife or axe. One big problem is how do you dip a rag into the new fangled gas tanks? The fangle blocks the filler pipe.

Pan, just bring a can of starter fluid around with you. It has to have the same effect (or worse). It beats having to do something with a gasoline soaked rag after you use it. :)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I'm a third generation baymen and knew some of the local pineys in Bass River, Tuckerton, Lowerbank, and Green Bank. The dying off of the oysters,and scarcity of clams by the late 70's made all but the most hardy, leave those industries.

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a livin' as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

Little different subject matter, but I think the message is the same. Much of the pines changed and therefore the people who made their living off of them had to change too.

Reactions: h2ochild

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Pan, just bring a can of starter fluid around with you. It has to have the same effect (or worse). It beats having to do something with a gasoline soaked rag after you use it. :)
You could also try using nail polish remover. The bottle comes with a small brush and the ticks hate it.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
SJ, That looks to me like another one of the newfangled tick removal tricks that might break the ticks head off inside your body.

IMK, Yes, good plan I think, and I usually have some nail Polish remover stored away in my truck (someplace, I think) because it's a good solvent, like for instance if u krazy glue your fingers together. Maybe wd-40 might work too, don't know. It's supposed to work on almost everything. I've got that with me too, mainly because I bought a lifetime supply at the Costco. That's what happens when u go into a Costco.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
. If it happens, I get out my needle, heat it up, and dig it out, then liberally apply the mercurochrome.

Where do you find real Mercurochrome these days Bob ? That and Merthiolate were banned years ago from what I know. Looks like they still sell Mercurochrome but without the mercury. What fun is that ?

Merthiolate was the go-to for cuts in my house when I was growing up. Burned worse than a lit match.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Here's a new one, olive oil. Definitely nicer on the skin than gasoline. I don't know if it would really work though. The tick might just eat it.

http://olivecrazy.com/2011/04/26/banish-ticks-with-olive-oil/

I should really butt out of this topic and leave it to the contemporary Pineys who surely have much more recent experience with this than I do, I am happy to say.

Oh, I thought that Mercurochrome was obsolete but then I saw it on amazon, but it is different now. When I was a kid another antiseptic was widely sold, iodine. It had a skull and crossbones on its label. My mother used Campho-Phenique on almost everything, including inside the mouth sores, which the bottle, the new one anyway, says not to do. It's still around.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I received this in an email from a dog site. My dog says to stick with permethrin ;) But I do like the vodka comment :dance:

emoticon-0180-bug.gif

CJ Puotinen, author of The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care and Natural Remedies for Dogs and Cats, describes an all-purpose repellent that will make pets (and people!) less attractive to ticks and other biting insects. She suggests blending 20 drops of rose geranium, palmarosa, or opopanax myrrh essential oil (or any combination) with three drops citronella essential oil (which repels mosquitoes) and enough vodka, neem tincture, or bay rum aftershave to dissolve the essential oils. Start with two tablespoons alcohol or tincture and add more as needed to make the oils dissolve completely. Do not use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. When there is no longer a thin film of oil on the surface, add one cup water, herbal tea, or aloe vera juice or gel. Apply frequently, avoiding the eyes.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I wouldn't put any substance on an embedded tick to get it to release. It may work at getting the tick to back out, but the tick isn't your problem, it's what's in its stomach that could harm you. And anything that might cause it to regurgitate its stomach contents into your blood stream is a bad idea.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I wouldn't I've any substance on an embedded tick to get it to release. It may work at getting the tick to back out, but the tick isn't your problem, it's what's in its stomach that could harm you. And anything that might cause it to regurgitate its stomach contents into your blood stream is a bad idea.
Do they have any real evidence that such is the case? i used to remove a lot of ticks with gasoline with no ensuing problem that I was aware of, but once I started messing around with tweezers trying to twist them out I started getting festering parts of their bodies left behind.