Pine Barren Tree Frog Hunt

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tonight, with Jessica and Rob from work.

Rob closing in on them.

IMG_2669a.jpg

IMG_2687a.jpg

IMG_2690a.jpg

IMG_2696a.jpg

IMG_2697a.jpg

IMG_2704a.jpg

IMG_2715a.jpg

Larger view.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05102013/IMG_2711a.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks!

Rob took this video (audio) of a frog in Virginia. Does anyone have an idea what it is?

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Copes are considered endangered in NJ.I only know of one location to find them in cape may county.they sound much like their identical twin the northern grey treefrog except the trill is sped up.

John

Jul 17, 2009
So I assume you are in the Pacific?
Aloha Guy,

Yes, but grew up in Pemberton in the 60's and 70's. Maybe not a fill fledged piney, but did spend time cruisin Whitesbog and Lebanon State Forest. In the summers would take the canoe and paddle from New Lisbon to Mount Holly down Rancocas Run. Great memories!! I really love this site and the pictures from the piney adventures you and your friends share. Please keep the photos coming!

Mahalos
John

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Fantastic pics! My son and I wandered around the pines for 2 hours last month in search of PB tree frogs but came up empty. We heard lots of carpenter frogs, though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fantastic pics! My son and I wandered around the pines for 2 hours last month in search of PB tree frogs but came up empty. We heard lots of carpenter frogs, though.

You were little too early this year to look for them. Head out as soon as you can on a warm evening just before sunset and plan on being there until after the sun sets. That is when they start making noise. It is still not too late to find them.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There isn't another species of frog in the pines that produces a call that sounds similar to the "wonka-wonka-wonka" call of the PB tree frog is there?

I have heard that call midday in Stafford Forge and in Parker Preserve in the past few weeks. It wasn't a single call but a small chorus both times. I wasn't sure if these frogs were only active during the evening hours. I will add that at the time it was a dreary rainy day and that could be why I heard their songs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There isn't another species of frog in the pines that produces a call that sounds similar to the "wonka-wonka-wonka" call of the PB tree frog is there?

I have heard that call midday in Stafford Forge and in Parker Preserve in the past few weeks. It wasn't a single call but a small chorus both times. I wasn't sure if these frogs were only active during the evening hours. I will add that at the time it was a dreary rainy day and that could be why I heard their songs.

We heard them while looking for the PB frogs also. They are much weaker and seem somewhat similar. We actually got really close to it but could not find it in the dark.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Gibby
They will call in broad daylight if it's warm and humid and they haven't mated yet.If you go back at night there will be more no doubt.They call in small chorus's and alternate from one group to the other.I forget the term for that but it allows each location a turn instead of mass hysteria like peepers do.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Gibby
They will call in broad daylight if it's warm and humid and they haven't mated yet.If you go back at night there will be more no doubt.They call in small chorus's and alternate from one group to the other.I forget the term for that but it allows each location a turn instead of mass hysteria like peepers do.

Thanks Manu! It definitely was warm and humid on the days I heard them. I made attempt to zero in on their location, at Stafford Forge, but they where high up in a patch of cedars and I was unable to view them. They where positioned several feet above me, which I would say was close to eight or ten feet above the ground.