Pine Barrens Clean up Oct 26th.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I am going. This issue has been grandstanded to death so I've just concerned myself with meeting up with some peeps, having a nice day together and getting a job done.
Well, that and some indulging at the Pic afterwards.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For those of us that have never taken part in this could you please provide some details?

You will meet at the Atsion Ranger Station at 9:30 a.m. and there will be a sign-up.
At the sign up you can ask to be directed to a certain area or if you know an area in need of work, you can lead a group yourself.
Ideally, you should own some type of truck or you come with someone who does.
You will be given some trash bags, if you want them, for light pickup.
You can hook up with any group that is there.
As you reach a full load, you return to Atsion to dump the load and head out again.
At the end, its off to the Pic for some great 4x4 related door prizes, wings and frosty cold ones.
You buy the frosty ones. Not for everyone, unless you're feeling generous.
Its a fun day in the woods and Wharton has been looking better every year as a result.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I would normally come to be with my good friends and fine companions George and Scott, but....alas.....I do have a ticket to the 4th game of the World Series on that day.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I would normally come to be with my good friends and fine companions George and Scott, but....alas.....I do have a ticket to the 4th game of the World Series on that day.

My friend, your elegance and presence will be missed but... damn! Go see that game dude. There will always be more to clean up (unfortunately)

g.

TEEJ

7th_Annual_Pine_Barrens_Clean_Up_2008.sized.jpg

:D

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Rain or Shine??? What about FIRE???

That was to be a question I had in mind.
While the whole of Wharton will not be "shut down", there will be hot zones I assume (no pun). There are apt to be places just simply off limits. I am guessing that the organizers will instruct and correlate with forestry and fire folks which regions are best served and which are off limits. Far as I can see, the trash out our way is safe and sound and up for the picking with us having little or no impact on the current situation. Would that not be the case in some other areas as well?
Worst case scenario is that a lot of trails used might be shut down and getting to and from some points might take longer.
Either way, some folks are gonna come back from cleaning up smelling foul of burn. Anybody got some input on this?? Perhaps a reaching out to Mike Tarsia?

G.

TEEJ

LOL

Yeah - the areas to the South are on fire, albeit will most likely be out by the time we do the clean-up. (Wind is not blowing North, its supposed to rain heavily on Saturday, etc...)

I just spoke to the Ranger Station again this morning, and the clean-up, and Toy Drive, are still ON.

The fire is not where we'll be, and, its not projected to be where we'll be...and, there is so much territory to cover, the rangers assured me that no matter WHAT the fire does, there's plenty of territory for us to clean-up.

:D

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Well look,
I will throw up pics as able. I'm tired. Here you go. I tromped Saturday to see that many areas were traversable. There was of course burn.
0173.JPG

0182.JPG

0152.JPG

The dumpster was ready. Just one dumpster means a lot folks, we've realy narrowed down the garbage.
0102.JPG

I went early on Sunday to clean up some nasties in the Pestletown area.
I met with Mike Tarsia & Terri from the State at the event and was pleased to see the turnout.
0054.JPG

Some typical stuff
0043.JPG

More to come.
The morning was in our favor and with three trucks we went out to clean. The short version on that is the fact that it really took some doing to find a few truck loads of trash! Good stuff.
I must say that Scott's son Mike is like a machine in the woods. As much as we drove, he walked it alongside, ahead, or behind us for a number of roundabout miles just picking up random material.
We met up with Dott after lunch & I got to see their new deal in the way of a dog. Cuteness excelled.
0093.JPG

0082.JPG

We really had a great day for this and I traveled with two good sturdy trucks never fearing getting stuck without aid.
0204.JPG

I had a couple spots I had to pay a little extra attention to though.
Here's a weird diversion. While bounding along to head off to a jeep trail to 206 I stopped for a moment to pick up some trifles. Mike was with me at the time. I spied behind me what appeared to be a fellow on a bicycle or motorbike. Turned out to be both.
0163.JPG

0153.JPG

This German/Austrian fellow was traveling through a remote trail of the pines From Berlin (N.J.) to Columbus. Do not ask me how he figured the route. He himself had some refuse in his bike basket and unloaded to my truck yet kept a thing or two ? Something about his son collecting? He was very pleasant and yet as I told Mike,
"There's something you don't see every day", A German... on a bicycle, Headed to Columbus through the woods and gathering trash along the way.
From there it was off to the dumping place
0263.JPG

0253.JPG

0322.JPG

0281.JPG

and then to the Pic (While cheesy I blasted home for a quick shower, I felt cruddy, sorry guys) Wings/Beer were good.
Mike Tarsia, the guy that really, with Terri's help and a lot of wierdos that like to do this ties this whole mess together
0364.JPG

0342.JPG

0394.JPG

The folks that run & participate in this gig are great and every single one should be commended!
I am pleased to be a part of it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Great pics and report George.
It really is one of the best days that I spend in the woods year and I spend a lot of them.
The puppy certainly enjoyed the outing and at only 10 weeks old, he appears to be very well socialized. He was a big hit at the Pic for sure.
I can't wait to get some miles on him when as he gets bigger.
As you said, there is a marked improvement in the woods each year, at least down here.
We had to struggle to put together 3 truckloads of crap where 7 loads was the norm a few years ago.

Scott

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
the trail we hit we took about 40 vehicle loads of crap out. this however was in a recently aquired section of Wharton that has never been hit before. It is nice to see people struggling to overflow 1 30 cuyd dumpster compared to previous years of of multiple 50 yarders. I was guy who won the Ikea dresser. multiple peircings can't really miss me.