Pine Barrens Herping

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
How do all of the snake fans find this site? Google? Or do people talk about it on other boards?

It should be New Jersey Pine Barrens: Exploring the Snakes of Southern New Jersey

If there is enough interest I would be happy to find ways of making more articles/info available for snake fans.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Looks like you had a good trip!
That was a handsome big pilot black!

One reminder about "...rippin' open logs..." Every likely log you rip open is one less likely egg-laying site for kings, milks, scarlets, ring necks, hog-noseds, and even corns and racers (if it's a large log).

I agree with Kauffeld that the average snake tally for a day in the pines is none or more! So you did good!

Dave

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
bruset said:
How do all of the snake fans find this site? Google? Or do people talk about it on other boards?

The New Jersey Pine Barrens are legend among professional and amateur herpetologists - and especially those from the northeast - because for a herpetophile the Pines mimic the environment of the southeastern coastal plain forests - lacking only palmetto. Many herp of the southeast reach the northern extreme of their contiguous range in North Carolina or Dismal swamp in southern VA - and then appera again in this fascinating, separate, circumscribed environment in south Jersey known as the Pine Barrens.

No 'gators, ,mocassins, or coral snakes, but it's interesting that a coral snake mimic, the scarlet snake, persists (or did persist within recent living memory) in the Pines. Also, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, the Pine Barrens version of the light-phase timber rattler is closer in appearance to the canebrake rattler ( a race of the timber rattler) of the southeast than it is to light-phase timbers elsewhere in the northeast.

I'm in no way a botanist, but my botanist friends are just as enthusuastic about the Pine Barrens as are the herpetologists - and for similar reasons.
Wild cotton, prickly pear cactus, carnivorous plants, orchids - whoodathunkit?
Where the hell is this? New Jersey? "NO WAY" they say...

Yessir; the Pine Barrens are "little bit of the Southland" up here in the north!

Dave

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yes, but I was wondering more how people found this site. It is more of a history site (consider the tag line "exploring the ghost towns of southern new jersey"), and the appearance of people who seem to only be interested in snakes piques my curiosity.

I don't have a problem with it, I just like to collect demographics as I can then have a better idea of what people would like to see on the site.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
I don't have a problem with it, I just like to collect demographics as I can then have a better idea of what people would like to see on the site.[/QUOTE]

A former student of mine, who is also an amateur herpetologist, called and happened to mention that he was attempting to breed pine snakes. He got his breeding stock of captive-bred pinesnakes on the internet. Being fairly new to the internet, it hadn't occurred to me to see what info was available on the Pine Barrens, so I googled "Pine Barrens" and there it was ! "NJPineBarrens.com"

I would think that any active herpetologist who had heard of the legendary "Pine Barrens" would peruse any site that came up in such a search, even if it had the subtitle "exploring the ghost towns...etc"

Having said that, I'd not be at all comfortable with this site becoming a source of conversations on "hot snake hunting locations" any more than for "great places to pick this-or-that orchid."

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
thank you everybody for your kind comments, i really had a good time. By the way, i found this site just by typing in NJ Pine Barrens in google.com , a lot of people i talk to are interested in the NJ Pines, i talked to a kid from Lousiana and he said they learned about the Pines in school, and he had read a book about it.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Come to think of it, John McPhee's collected essays on the Pine Barrens (most, as I recall, having first appeared in the New Yorker) was on my son's reading list in Jr High when we lived in Iowa. It was entitled ... wait for it ... could you have guessed... "The Pine Barrens"? When my son got to the part about Asa Pittman, he said "you knew him, didn't you, Dad?" I guess they do listen sometimes.
Dave